turn macbook pro into wifi hotspot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Oct 13, 2013.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

Hi, is it possible to use my macbook pro retina as a wifi hot spot ? Right now it's connected by ethernet and I"m in a hotel but would like to use internet on my phone .

2. MajkJaro macrumors member

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

System Preferences / Sharing / Internet Sharing

4. maz-o, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

maz-o macrumors member

maz-o

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but if you travel a lot, I really recommend a LAN/WIFI adapter. Who wants to keep their laptop wired to an ethernet cable anyway. They're tiny and cheap, check ebay/amazon for example.

5. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

This is the reverse, but can you use your phone as the hotspot? If you're lucky. you'll have an unlimited wireless plan so there's no need for data limit concerns.

I have an ipad but do not have a plan for it. Since I have unlimited data, I use foxfi to make my phone a hotspot and connect from it. I've never connected from my laptop, but it's available to connect from there.

----------

Is this option dependent on the hotel's internet speed? Sadly, there are still many cheapskate hotels that only give free slow (hi-speed). As someone who travels weekly, the last thing I need is one more thing to carry around. But if it works, by all means.

6. anonymous4a thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there a second step to this? I was able to connect my phone with the wifi connection from my macbook, but I can't connect to any websites, etc.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Some hotels make you pay for the internet, perhaps the one you're staying at is one of those.

8. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Why connect your phone to macbook wifi - that's using your hotel's internet to access internet from your phone. You should already have a data plan with your cell company.

I was thinking that you turn your phone into a wifi hotspot and use your cell data plan to access the internet from your laptop.

Does that make sense?

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Maybe he's in a place with a good wired (ethernet) connection and poor/no WiFi.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well it's a bit late for that advice...