turn my mac into a telephone call recorder?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by videoed, May 21, 2009.

1. videoed macrumors regular

Hi,

I've got my spare Mac next to my telephone on my desk in my office and I'm hoping to figure out a way to use it to record some of conference calls digitally so that people unable to make the call can get a copy.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. mbpnewbie macrumors regular

3. videoed thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response.

I'm hoping to find an adapter that goes inbetween the phone base and the thing you hold in your hand, then hopefully usb or microphone into the Mac and then for what software i'm not sure

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Can't you do something with vonage, and a soundcards that loops back into the OS?

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can record anything you can hear (conference call speaker phone) via the built in microphone on the Mac.

Some people use garageband or other apps.

If conferencing via computer, then use audio hijack.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

If you want to record to a computer off a standard telephone line using an USB device that can plug into a standard modular handset jack the price is usually about $200 and up, but all the ones I've seen use Windows based software. You can probably find the USB device only for less money, but finding one compatible with OS X might be a challenge.

You can buy an analog device, that plugs into the modular handset jack for about $60 and up. You then run the analog line out from the device into your soundcard on a Mac or PC and record the conversation using any audio recording software such as Audacity, etc.

A couple of examples, below. I have no idea how well these devices actually work (caveat emptor). But in theory at least , either should be far superior to recording using a microphone place in a room with a speaker phone.

$60 analog device

USB recording device w/software.

If you're in the U.S., your local Radio Shack store should have many different analog devices for recording phone conversations.

Google "usb phone conversation recorder" and you should get many, many results...