Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
my mother has an iPhone and she's taking it to africa in a few weeks

she wants to completely turn off 3g/4g internet so she doesn't get charged $1000000 per megabyte from automatic downloads, email checking, notifications etc

i can't figure out how to do it cos iPhone is the one apple product I'm not into

thanks if you can help

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
my mother has an iPhone and she's taking it to africa in a few weeks

she wants to completely turn off 3g/4g internet so she doesn't get charged $1000000 per megabyte from automatic downloads, email checking, notifications etc

i can't figure out how to do it cos iPhone is the one apple product I'm not into

thanks if you can help

She'll want to just go ahead and turn off cellular data, which in iOS 7 can be accessed from Settings.app->Cellular->Cellular Data (toggle off). This will disable the phone from ever being able to send or receive data from cellular networks. She'll still be able to use WiFi.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
She'll want to just go ahead and turn off cellular data, which in iOS 7 can be accessed from Settings.app->Cellular->Cellular Data (toggle off). This will disable the phone from ever being able to send or receive data from cellular networks. She'll still be able to use WiFi.

thank you very much i was expecting to have to enter airplane mode or something and lose a load of other features but that is a win-win :D

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
thank you very much i was expecting to have to enter airplane mode or something and lose a load of other features but that is a win-win :D

Do note that this will only kill data access from cellular networks, and that she would still be able to access cellular services for phone calls which would also lead to roaming charges without an international plan. If she just wants to use it as a mobile computing device while abroad, she will want to keep it in airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on for data access.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Do note that this will only kill data access from cellular networks, and that she would still be able to access cellular services for phone calls which would also lead to roaming charges without an international plan. If she just wants to use it as a mobile computing device while abroad, she will want to keep it in airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on for data access.

thanks, she still wants to make calls and is aware of the costs, just wanted to make sure no e-mails/apps etc were automatically downloaded whilst she was away because they charge something ridiculous like $15 per megabyte haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.