turn off 3g/4g

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jondunford, Nov 6, 2013.

1. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

my mother has an iPhone and she's taking it to africa in a few weeks

she wants to completely turn off 3g/4g internet so she doesn't get charged $1000000 per megabyte from automatic downloads, email checking, notifications etc

i can't figure out how to do it cos iPhone is the one apple product I'm not into

thanks if you can help

2. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

She'll want to just go ahead and turn off cellular data, which in iOS 7 can be accessed from Settings.app->Cellular->Cellular Data (toggle off). This will disable the phone from ever being able to send or receive data from cellular networks. She'll still be able to use WiFi.

3. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

thank you very much i was expecting to have to enter airplane mode or something and lose a load of other features but that is a win-win :D

4. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

Do note that this will only kill data access from cellular networks, and that she would still be able to access cellular services for phone calls which would also lead to roaming charges without an international plan. If she just wants to use it as a mobile computing device while abroad, she will want to keep it in airplane mode and then turn WiFi back on for data access.

5. jondunford thread starter macrumors 6502

jondunford

thanks, she still wants to make calls and is aware of the costs, just wanted to make sure no e-mails/apps etc were automatically downloaded whilst she was away because they charge something ridiculous like $15 per megabyte haha