Turn off audio alert when charging?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by orbitalpunk, Oct 11, 2015.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

As you know the Macbook makes and audio alert when you plug in the power. Is there a way to turn this off or disable it completely?

2. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Why would you want to disable it? People r complaining that they dont know when its charging. The beep is the first signal. Does it actually bother you?

3. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I suffer from Tinnitus and it's makes the ringing in my ears louder when I hear any digital sounds.

4. Dayv macrumors 6502

This is probably a good thing to bring up with Apple support. Perhaps they know a way, and if not they can at least log the request for future software updates.

5. Queen6, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You can change the audio file in PowerChime.app, this should solve your problem...
    Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 12.55.49.png
    As PowerChime.app is part of Core Services, I would do this on a bootable backup first before the primary drive.

Q-6

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Use this Terminal command:

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.PowerChime ChimeOnAllHardware -bool false;killall PowerChime

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Does this kill the "chime" or does this kill the PowerChime.app as surely there is a difference? Ultimately as long as the rMB charges it`s a non issue.

Q-6