Turn off Auto-show sidebar in fullscreen Safari 9?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by JFazYankees, Jul 12, 2015.

1. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

So in Safari 9, moving your cursor all the way to left edge of the screen while in fullscreen orientation causes the reading list/bookmarks/sharing bar to show then hide back away when the cursor is moved away from the edge. I HATE this with a passion, but I can't seem to find an option to turn it off for the life of me.

2. KALLT macrumors 601

Report it to Apple. I currently seems to interfere with the left-side Dock anyway, so I suppose it still needs to be tweaked.

3. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

The way I fixed it was go into View on the tool bar and Show Bookmarks Sidebar. Then shut it and the auto one should be disabled.

Edit:

Worked for a while, now is back. :(

4. SmOgER, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

If you want to completely disable sidebar, you can hack it by editing com.apple.Safari.plist

First make sure that in Safari preferences "new tab open with" and "new windows open with" settings are set to anything other than Favorites, then change the SidebarViewModeIdentifier value from usual "Bookmarks" to let's say "B". This way cursor on the left in full screen will do nothing but don't try to manually show sidebar in view menu cause it will crash Safari and you will have to undo the changes before you can launch it again.

Very dirty hack, but hey it works if you really need it.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out this doesn't work after all.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

That option just defines the selected tab of the sidebar when you open it. When it’s set to “Bookmarks”, the bookmarks tab will be preselected. I also tried reducing the side of the sidebar to 0 (default is 240, which is also the minimum), but it can’t be tricked in that way either.

6. julianchan123 macrumors newbie

Same request!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's annoying when I always accidentally pops out the sidebar and clicked on a website

7. suggs macrumors newbie

Yes, really need to disable this.

8. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I've been using the dock on the left to deal with this high priority bug Apple needs to fix. One issue is that if the mouse is a few pixels from the left then you get both the dock AND the stupid side bar!

9. elias3p macrumors newbie

elias3p

Just keep using Safari in fullscreen with the dock set to the left side in System Preferences. Enter this command in Terminal without quotes: "defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 1000 && killall Dock"

This will fix the issue.

Note: the dock will need the "Mission Control four finger swipe up" to show/hide it.

To make things back the way they were, enter this in Terminal: "defaults delete com.apple.Dock autohide-delay && killall Dock"