Turn off control+click for right-click action?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by DougTheImpaler, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

I have a Logitech MX518 for a mouse. In Mavericks I could disable the Ctrl+click shortcut that replicated right-click. In Yosemite, going to the Mouse preferences doesn't show that option. Is there a way to turn it off? I use VMWare Fusion for work and multi-selecting items on Windows is impossible because Ctrl+click is acting like right-click.

The VMWare app has a preference to turn that shortcut on and off, but it's also not working. Ctrl+clicking the desktop in Yosemite gives me the same right-click menu, so it's not VMWare specific. It's system-wide. I downloaded Logitech's software, but it didn't make a difference and there's no option there. Any advice is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

All I could find was reference to another app you can run that will turn it off. Don't know if it will work in Yosmite though.

https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

Control + click worked for me in the current version of parallels running windows 10.

3. DougTheImpaler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks @Tiptizzle. I found that I could turn on an option in Karabiner that would bind Ctrl+L to right-click, which I think would just make it worse instead of better. :eek:

Good to know that it works right in Parallels. Maybe this is an issue VMWare has to fix. I'm on Fusion 7, hopefully they'll address it with a point release.

I also downloaded the Logitech mouse software and I'm trying to figure out if I can bind the Ctrl+click action to one of the mouse 3 or mouse 4 buttons. Haven't figured that one out yet either.

4. dyt1983, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. DougTheImpaler thread starter macrumors 6502a

A final data point:

I got the Parallels trial and converted my VM (which was really my Boot Camp partition). Control+click is fine in Windows. That was enough to get me to buy it. The problem must be VMware's to fix.