Turn Off Display Instead of Screen Saver

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rs7, Mar 22, 2009.

1. rs7 macrumors regular

Is there a way to make it so that instead of my screen saver turning on, I can have the display turn off? I know I can set it to automatically do this after a few minutes, but I use a hot corner to turn my screensaver on, and would like to turn my display off when needed instead. I see no reason to keep the display powered just to show a pointless picture. I know I can hold down the decrease brightness button until it goes all the way down, but is there another way? I have a Unibody MB.

Thanks

2. faciem macrumors newbie

faciem

in system preferences, go to expose&spaces, for the hot corner of your choice, choose 'sleep display'

3. RoninXI macrumors regular

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can establish a hot corner to sleep the display, in addition to the preference which you already mentioned that sleeps the display after a predetermined time.

Decreasing the screen brightness does not sleep the display; it powers off the backlight, but the screen is still on.

5. rs7 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyway to have it require password when unsleeping the display?

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Everytime I post this hint, people are amazed by it. Instead of having to set a screen corner to sleeping the display, there is a quick keyboard shortcut to do this. I prefer it to hot corners because there are times when I accidentally activate a hot corner when I don't want to.

To sleep display: CTRL + SHIFT + EJECT

To sleep Mac: CMD + OPTION + EJECT

Security in System Preferences. It only works when waking the computer from sleep or screensaver though.

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Then combine it with a modifier key ;)

All my hot corners only work when I press CMD at the same time. To activate that, go to the corresponding preferences and press the modifier you want to use when selecting an action from the list.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

very nice hint! I never knew that.