Turn off Edge but keep 3G?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kadman, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I use Slacker radio as my primary audio source in the car. For the most part I'm in 3G areas and to be honest, I mostly listen to the stations I have cached so even that's not needed. The problem I have is that when I leave a 3G area I know immediately when it happens because I start hearing that horrible "Edge buzzing" as I enter an Edge service area.

What I'd like to do is (by default) turn on 3G but have no Edge enabled. Is this possible? In SBSettings there's a 3G icon to toggle 3G but the Edge icon really toggles all data, not just edge. I'd like a convenient way to disable Edge, but still be able to quickly enable it again should I need to. Thoughts?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

SBS has an Edge toggle. I guess that will turn it off.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its weird but the latest sbsettings I installed on my i4 doesnt have an Edge toggle:confused:
    All other previous versions did though.

If you disable edge and you're out of your 3G coverage area you will drop down to GPRS and thats alot worst and slower than edge.
    And you will still get that buzzing signal sound.

4. doolin.nc macrumors member

:confused:

Reinstall? I have it on mine. Isn't it the "Data" toggle? 'Cause the theme I had a big "E" in it. I assume it meant EDGE, since there's a different button for 3G. I guess it means non-3G & EDGE data.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, the data is to completelly disable carrier data.
    When I go to more/Set toggles I dont see edge.
    3G, Bluetooth, brightness, data, fast notes, location, phone, processes, ssh, wfi, autolock, 3Gurestrictor.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You seem to be correct. I was in error.

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

You can't do what you're asking. Edge and GPRS are handled by the same chip and 3G is handled by another chip. You can disable 3G, or you can disable 3G/Edge/GPRS but you can't disable just Edge and GPRS. There's probably a technical reason for this.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't understand...you would rather that your Slacker radio cut out entirely when you left a 3G area than that you get a degraded quality?

9. doolin.nc macrumors member

I can understand that. When I go through crap areas in my car, I turn it off completely. Very annoying. (XM radio btw).

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird, not sure why they removed it:confused:

11. myvoip07 macrumors member

Yes they removed it from SBSettings, install EDGE Toggle from cydia and it will be show up in SB.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's odd, it's in SBSettings on my phone and I didn't install any additional toggles from cydia.

13. myvoip07 macrumors member

3.1.0-1 doesn't have it. Did you removed and reinstall it SB recently? It was there but doesn't remember since which ver it was removed..

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Cool, not a must have option but good to know we can put it back if needed.
    Thanks.

15. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

No. I typically listen to the cached station so it's not using the data connection for audio at that time. The problem is that when I drop out of a 3G coverage area and into an Edge area, the intermittent buzzing can be annoying. To but it more bluntly: When I'm in 3G areas I like having the data connection on but when I hit an edge area I'd rather data be off by default and only turn it on when I absolutely need it.

16. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

Bingo!! Many thanks for this. I installed EDGE Toggle and it does exactly what I need. Now I can have 3G enabled and EDGE disabled by default!

The only tiny, tiny issue is that it could confuse some because the icon is exactly the same as the whole data on/off button (it's an EDGE icon), but it shouldn't be an issue of accidentally hitting one or the other for me. I'll just be cautious.

Thanks again, this is perfect!

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I guess I don't understand what intermittent buzzing you're talking about. If you're listening to something cached, your data connection should be irrelevant. Or are you talking about some sort of EM interference, like you might get with an unshielded car stereo adapter not designed for the iPhone?

18. Kadman thread starter macrumors 65816

Kadman

Regardless of active usage of a data app, your phone will periodically send or receive data packets to/from the towers. Blackberry's and other phones do this as well, again, even when not actively sending user data. I'm actually surprised you've never heard the "Edge buzz" that can come from just being near other phones or even some types of TVs.

It's not a constant buzz, just periodically.