Turn off Find My Phone Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnchawkins, Jan 19, 2015.

1. johnchawkins macrumors newbie

Okay, before I get into details, I'll admit that I screwed up. Some time ago I setup two factor authentication for my apple account. I wrote the recovery key down, but I must not have written it down correctly. The other day when trying to get an app from the App Store on my iPhone 5, I fat fingered my apple password too many times and got prompted for my recovery key. Well, the key will not work. I don't have a lot of content (apps/music) that I bought in the Apple store, so I figured that I'd just get a new Apple ID. All was well until I tried to setup the new Apple ID for iCloud on my phone. I apparently turned on Find My Phone when I got this one a year of so ago and I cannot enter a new Apple ID until I turn of Find My Phone and Find My Phone cannot be turned off without logging onto the old (the one I screwed up) Apple ID. A bit of a dilemma and I wanted to know if there is a work around (which I doubt). If there is no way to get around my dilemma, does anyone know if taking the phone to my carrier and have them reset the phone will allow me to enter a new Apple ID?

Thanks in advance.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, there's no way around it.
    The carrier has no access to any of that.
    The only thing you can do is contact Apple and provide them with proper identification and credit card or account information used to set up the previous apple ID.
    Besides that there's nothing more that can be done.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Did you buy the phone from Apple? I hear if you can produce the original receipt they might be able to help you. If not you are SOL.

Apple is you best bet

4. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

5. johnchawkins thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke with Apple support last week and the rep that I spoke with led me to believe that there really is little that I can do. I setup the Apple two-step verification and since I cannot find the correct recovery key, I'm pretty much screwed. This is a company phone and I think that corporate messaging can remotely wipe the phone and reimage it. I'll lose any apps that I have bought, but there are only a handful that I will just buy over again using my new Apple ID. Quite a lesson learned. If they cannot correct the issue, this phone may get accidentally dropped into a sink full of water. What irritated me a little is that I recall setting up security challenge questions a long time ago before I had this phone. They also have my credit card information on record. You'd think that they could have some procedure to disable the two-step verification and resort to using my security challenge questions and credit card information as verification.