Turn off Genius on iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gnortenjones, Apr 21, 2009.

1. gnortenjones macrumors regular

Is it possible to turn off Genius on the iphone?

I listen to several podcasts/songs which I like to fast forward to the middle of the song. But when I drag the song placemarker (I'm not sure what it's official name is), it seems I can't help but hit the genius button to create a genius playlist by accident. I'd like to get rid of it.

Thanks.

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

I think you have to disable it in iTunes, then it will be disabled on the phone next time you sync.

3. gnortenjones thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried that. Genius is still there on the iphone.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I think its part of the iPod app now, so you can't. You can downgrade to an earlier firmware.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

When you first press to drag the marker, it isn't in the middle, so how are you touching the Genius icon?

That aside, it's just one of the quirks of using a touchscreen that doesn't have any tactile feedback. You just need to train your finger.

6. spark787 macrumors newbie

It worked for me.

I know that for my iPod touch I had to inactivate the Genius feature through iTunes (Store>Turn off Genius), then sync my iPod with my computer. The icon for Genius will still be present, but the feature will not work. Playlists created through Genius prior to its deactivation still worked.

I know you said you've tried, but I would think this process would be the same for the iPod touch and the iPhone.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

But when you push the button will it give you the "not enough songs to generate playlist" Genius error or will it just ignore the button when pressed? I think his problem is he wants the latter.