Turn Off iMac Screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kryptik.Kode, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

I am waiting for the refreshed iMacs to be released to make the switch from Windows to Mac. I am going to be using my iMac for all sorts of things but one of the main things will be using it as a media server for my multiple ATVs.

I would like to know if there is a way to shut the display off but keep the computer on for streaming purposes. I don't want to put additional wear & tear on the display when it's on 24 hours a day for streaming and downloading.

As far as I know, there is no button to turn only the display off. Is there an option in OSX or some "app" that allows this? :confused:

2. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

You mean ctrl+shift+eject ? To turn off the display

3. Kryptik.Kode thread starter macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

Does this turn off the display or put the computer to sleep? If I do this and then login remotely with LogMeIn.com or something will the display turn back on?

Sorry for the silly questions.

4. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

It only turns the display off. Can't say for logmein but I've used team viewer and it does turn the display on, but my energy saver settings set the display off after 15 min.

And currently on mountain lion i've set the computer sleep to never, this is because ML doesn't honor disc activity so it would aggresively put the machine to sleep.

5. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I set a hot corner to put the display to sleep. When I get up from the computer I just slide the mouse to the upper left and it goes off, pretty handy. I suppose the screen would stay off when you were streaming to an ATV, but I'm not sure as I don't have one.