Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
I have a g5 imac with some external speakers plugged in and I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the internal speakers?

The reason is b/c the person I'm talking to on Skype hears an echo, I'm thinking this may be the problem since I'm also using the built-in mic. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

allison.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My internal speakers automatically turn off when I plug externals in. I don't see any option in Sound Preferences to change this behaviour, so I don't know why it's not working properly for you.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
The same echo sound happens when I voice chat or video chat on iChat. It's not an internal speaker problem, it's the sound level of the speakers. I figured this out because when I lowered the sound, they said it went away....only problem was, I couldn't hear them as well as I use to when the speakers were louder.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
allisonv7 said:
I have a g5 imac with some external speakers plugged in and I was wondering if there was a way to turn off the internal speakers?

The reason is b/c the person I'm talking to on Skype hears an echo, I'm thinking this may be the problem since I'm also using the built-in mic. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

allison.

I think the best way to get rid of the echo is to use a headset w/ mic. Or, at least an external mic with the speaker volume turned down.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Thanks guys! I just assumed it was the internal speakers because I'd messed around with volume settings a bunch and nothing seemed to fix it.

I may have to try the external mic, hopefuly that'll work.

allison.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
allisonv7 said:
I may have to try the external mic, hopefuly that'll work.
allison.
My experience has been that it significantly reduces the echo with internet phone calls. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.