Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohjohnsmall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Hi all,

I'm hoping this will be simple. I like to restart my iphone periodically, just to close everything and start with that minty fresh rebooted feeling. Updated to the latest IOS and now it relaunches everything that was open.
I managed to defeat this on my computer, but not on my iphone. How do I prevent this? The whole reason I restart is to shut everything off.

It's not important to me whether this is necessary or not, I just like it this way.

Thanks!

John

ohjohnsmall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I understand that they're in a saved state and not running. I prefer, when I do a full restart of my phone, that they go back to whatever the non-saved state is called. So I don't have Everything in that line of apps at the bottom. I know, I know, I can pretty quickly close them all, but I like the idea of a clean restart every so often, and it feels like apple products and operating systems should allow us to choose for that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I understand that they're in a saved state and not running. I prefer, when I do a full restart of my phone, that they go back to whatever the non-saved state is called. So I don't have Everything in that line of apps at the bottom. I know, I know, I can pretty quickly close them all, but I like the idea of a clean restart every so often, and it feels like apple products and operating systems should allow us to choose for that.
I'm fairly certain that it's not really that those apps are in a saved state or something like that, but the list that you would see there, after a restart, is really just a list of most recent apps that were used, nothing really more than that.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec

At reboot, it's nothing more than a list of recently used apps. The apps are completely closed, hence why your RAM usage drops dramatically after a reboot, which wouldn't be the case if they were reinitialized and suspended. The list still remembers what you had used recently but the apps themselves are NOT reloaded until you actually open them again.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP: I do the same thing. Double tap the home button to show the recently used app list. Tap and hold one of them until they have the X on them and jiggle. Delete them one by one until they are gone. I do this before I turn the phone off and on.

Edit: I was never taught how to write or use English properly (obviously). But after I read back my instructions I should clarify that the icons jiggle. I wasn't telling you to jiggle. :D

Last edited:

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Hi all,

I'm hoping this will be simple. I like to restart my iphone periodically, just to close everything and start with that minty fresh rebooted feeling. Updated to the latest IOS and now it relaunches everything that was open.
I managed to defeat this on my computer, but not on my iphone. How do I prevent this? The whole reason I restart is to shut everything off.

It's not important to me whether this is necessary or not, I just like it this way.

Thanks!

John

Why restart? Just clear the apps from the multitasking bar.

cmeisenzahl

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
At reboot, it's nothing more than a list of recently used apps. The apps are completely closed, hence why your RAM usage drops dramatically after a reboot, which wouldn't be the case if they were reinitialized and suspended. The list still remembers what you had used recently but the apps themselves are NOT reloaded until you actually open them again.

I concur, they're not really running, I believe it's no more than an MRU list at that point.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009

The multitasking switcher does not indicate whether the apps are running or even consuming resources. It is really nothing more than a "most recently used apps" list. If you have rebooted your phone, those apps are not consuming any resources. Even if you haven't rebooted your phone, the vast majority of those apps are not consuming any resources. Very few apps are allowed to consume background resources, and they are very tightly monitored by iOS and killed if necessary. Manually killing apps or rebooting your phone should be reserved for very unique/special cases (bugs) -- not routine behavior. But for some reason a lot of people just can't get their heads around that! :)

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Clear your apps in the multitasking bar. Turn the iphone off then on. Then do a hard reset by holding your Home/Power button together.

I know this does nothing, but I do it once in a while. :D

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Never knew the apps weren't actually running when they appear on the app switcher thing after a restart. I would still rather they still weren't on there. Some of us like things to be neat and tidy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.