Turn off Keychain??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jcaswell, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jcaswell macrumors newbie

I do not want to use the Keychain facility on my iMAC and would like to turn it off (or at least its intrusive nature while browsing)

What effect will turning it off have (other than getting it out of my face while browsing - which I want) - will there be any unforseen effects? It is not entirely clear how to turn it off - I can reset it (it seems) through Keychain Access.

Any advice would be useful.

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You don't need to turn Keychain off, just disable AutoFill in Safari via Safari Preferences.

The actual Keychain is a feature used and required by OS X. It encrypts and stores all sorts of data used by your system - wifi passwords, etc.

3. jcaswell thread starter macrumors newbie

Fuchal - thanks. I use Firefox, but it looks like it has the same switch. We shall see.

4. Wek macrumors member

Wek

Hi

I'm also tired of keychain. But If it's turned of in my browser, I have to type user and password every time I visit a webpage with a logon?

5. tdhurst macrumors 601

tdhurst

Yeah, that's what keychain does, it saves your passwords and then enters them automatically.

6. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

I recommand you look at a piece of software called 1Password. Tried it once, never looked back.

7. Wek macrumors member

Wek

I have 1password, but still keychain shows up :(

8. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

You will suffer from no ill effects as fas as I know!

In fact, I have been burned out by this, so called, convenience offered by Apple.

I had multiple devices linked by the iCloud keychain; 2 iPads, 3 Macs and and an iPhone.

I've had enough incidences with the problem of not being able to turn off the iCloud keychain from my Macs (search the internet and you'll find a lot complaints) and the iCloud keychain messing up with my email account settings on my Macs etc. The fact is, the iCloud keychain is not confined to just the passwords and autofill items on your web browser but it also messes up with your entire internet accounts, like your email accounts, as well.

After having a few nightmarish episodes, I decided to turn off the iCloud Chain from all of my devices.

Sometimes too much technology for the sake of technology is not all that productive.