Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Holmes31

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
They made the other buttons smaller to put in the dictation key, and I keep hitting it and it makes a noise. this isn't good for when I'm in class or somewhere quiet. anyway to get rid of it or mute it? It still makes noise when the phone is on vibrate too. I checked all the settings and couldn't find anything

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Hit the dictation button, then hold down the volume down key. For some reason Siri and Dictation use their own volume, and there isn't a slider for it anywhere else.

Reactions: onepoint

Holmes31

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
that's a good solution! I guess I really don't have a choice. I probably won't even use this feature to type

tcumaniac

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2011
Hit the dictation button, then hold down the volume down key. For some reason Siri and Dictation use their own volume, and there isn't a slider for it anywhere else.

thank you sooooo sooo much!! I kept calling apple and they had no solution whatsoever.... idiots

jeff657756

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I dont know how much you use siri, but turning siri off in settings=>general will remove the mic button from the keyboard.

DonnaKLAZ

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
[doublepost=1453406707][/doublepost]Thank you so much!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These days dictation can be disabled separately from Siri to remove that button from the keyboard.

Cheerio!

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
[doublepost=1504797058][/doublepost]
Thank you for this!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.