Turn off or turn on internet at MacBook via iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nexgen, Aug 7, 2011.

1. nexgen macrumors newbie

I usually have something being downloaded all the time at my MacBook Pro.

When I have to use internet via my iPhone, I have to goto my MacBook, wake it up, then shut off the internet and then I can use the internet on my iPhone.

After I finish using internet at iPhone, I have to repeat same thing for turning on internet at my MacBook so that it can continue to download whatever it was downloading.

Is there any way I can do same thing via iPhone wirelessly? I know there are VNC apps from where I can control MacBook but it's not that convenient.

Is there something form which I can type single command or press single button at my iPhone which can turn on or turn off the internet at my macbook?

(I'm using the OS lion)

2. tekkietekkie macrumors member

what does your laptop have to do with using your iPhone for internet? if you have a real router why can't you use both? is it because of G / N not working at the same time? if so just get another router to use your iPhone on its by far the easiest solution

3. nexgen thread starter macrumors newbie

It's because, my laptop heavily use all the bandwidth available so it's too slow to browse from iPhone when MacBook is using the internet.

4. tekkietekkie macrumors member

get a router that supports dd-wrt and then you can setup the iPhone to have priority over the laptop ;)

I had this problem once and I restarted my router and have never had the problem again, its not normal that the iPhone is unusable if your downloading a file unless your internet is really slow

5. nexgen thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my router don't have dd-wrt. Isn't there any software based solution for this?

6. tekkietekkie macrumors member

7. mtip macrumors member

If you're using torrents, you can usually set up the torrent client to limit the download and upload rates. Set both somewhat lower than your maximum internet download and upload speed respectively and you're done - no need for any funny hackery.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

If using bit torrent, you could simply limit bandwidth use in your bittorrent client's options.