turn off phone calls only...

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by fisherking, Aug 12, 2016.

1. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i used to do this by putting on airplane mode, then re-enabling wifi. so i could surf, email...but not get any phone calls.

now, with wifi calling enabled (which i need in parts of my home), i can't do this; re-enabling wifi also enables wifi calling.

is there a way to JUST stop phone calls occasionally?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There isn't. But it seems to me you could just toggle wifi calling too, no? Not convenient, but doable.

3. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

i'll try that (duh!)... just hope it's a simple on-off, and doesn't require me to renable 911 (for example) turning it back on.
    thanx

4. C DM, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

C DM macrumors Westmere

You could also potentially use Do Not Disturb for something like that (although it will also hide other notifications as well--they will still come in, just won't pop up or make a sound to notify/disturb you--which might also not be a bad thing depending on what you are doing and how "quiet" you want things to be).

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've toggled it before and I didn't have to mess with 911 settings. I'm in T-Mobile.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---
    I really wish dnd had an option to let through whitelisted texts and emails.

6. fisherking thread starter macrumors 603

fisherking

when i turn wifi calling back on, it asks me to set up 911 calling (or are my details there, and i can bypass that message)?
    either way, will probably just use do not disturb for now. thanks peeps!

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

I believe with iOS 10 you can at least do that for messages now (not certain about emails).
    --- Post Merged, Aug 12, 2016 ---
    As I recall the info is already there (from when you originally set it up) and you simply just enable WiFi calling and that's it.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Doesn't seem to be an option in open beta 4... All I see is calls.

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

It's in a somewhat different area, I believe when you are editing someone's contact and go into the area for custom text tone there should be something there for emergency bypass which is what would allow notifications for that contact to get through DND.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Doesn't seem to be there either :(

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

12. lordofthereef, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I needed to scroll up! Apparently I have so many tones that I didn't realize I could scroll up like two pages! Wow I feel dumb.

I appreciate the assistance greatly. My wife often texts me to see if our son is asleep when she comes home late and I don't get the notification. Life saver!