Turn Off Photo "Optimization" ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blewyn, Jun 11, 2011.

1. blewyn macrumors member

/Rant ON
    Is anyone else (apart from me) amazed at the fact that Apple insists on "optimising" (reducing the resolution, and therefore clarity and detail) of photos viewed on the iPad ? I can no longer see the furry ears of the Cheetah I snapped in Ngoro Ngoro Crater because the pinch & zoom simply won't zoom in to 100% magnification. I find this infuriating - viewing photos is probably the #1 or #2 reason I spent a thousand dollars on the damn iPad in the first place !
    /Rant OFF

Is there any way to turn off photo "optimisation" in iOS5 ? Can the iPad2 view photos at their intended resolution and zoom in properly ?

2. matt90036 macrumors regular

Yeah appla is an "amazing" company, you either do it their way or you dont do it at all. I use my ipad to store medical images of human anatomy but unlike you a little bit of fuzzy smudge is not going to prevent me from knowing where is what. I suggest youn look for a 3rd party app. I use media stash.

3. Redwyvern macrumors newbie

Opitmization work-around

Well, if you have GoodReader installed, you can import your photos through it, and they will maintain their size with no optimization. I have 1260x1600 photos stored on my iPad2 this way, and they look awesome!
    The only downside, is that if you try to import them from GoodReader to your photos library, they get optimized. But if you leave them in GoodReader, then you're set.

4. blewyn thread starter macrumors member

I think the "optimised" photo size on the iPad2 is already larger than 1260x1600 (that's only 2MP !). It's around 4-5MP. My photo collection ranges from 1-16MP and I also want to view mega-photos that I have created by stitching photos together. Some of these megaphotos can be 40MP+. Viewing them on a laptop is a simple matter - there is no limit.

/RANT ON
    It never occurred to me that Apple would limit the photo size on the IPad. It has a nice big screen, pinch to zoom, so naturally you would expect to be able to zoom in to full detail on your own photos. This is a real 'bad taste' experience for me - what fool actually piped up at an Apple meeting and said "I know, let's sell them this nice expensive touchy-feely screen thing and invite them to put their photos on it, but we'll limit the photo size so they can't zoom in"
    /RANT OFF

Even if there's a capacity/processor problem they could add 'do not optimise' as an option, and let users live with the reduced performance. I'd rather get slowdown than be unable to zoom in on the furry ears of the Cheetah.

5. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

my ipad completely chokes on my full res photos.
    every single app i've tried literally quits after the first or second photo. when they do show up, it takes around 8 seconds to load each one, then another couple every time you pan/scroll.