Turn off screen with lid open?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cycler15, Nov 21, 2008.

1. cycler15 macrumors member

I have the new alum MB. When I connect to an external LCD monitor and use a USB keyboard/mouse, do I need to keep the lid open to keep the temps down? Or does this not matter? I was playing Warcraft3 last night for about an hour and noticed the temp was about 126F with the lid closed when I finished playing. The fan also started kicking in about 15-20min into the game and didn't stop. Seems pretty hot to me, but this is my first laptop.

If I need to keep lid open, how can I turn off the MB display so I can change the resolution to my LCD monitor? Is there also a way to do this with Vista since I am also running boot camp?

2. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

3. cycler15 thread starter macrumors member

That works! Thanks for the tip!

4. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

Only 126F? Thats like...cold. Right now...137. Just firefox and iTunes..and mail. I want an ALBOOK but im stuck with a late 2006 whitebook!

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

In the Exposé preferences, you can also set one of your screen corners to make your display sleep. I have my left bottom corner set up this way, which I find easier than a key combination.

6. wagonofdoom macrumors newbie

you can also use insomnic

thats what i use to keep it from sleeping when i close the lid, but it also lets you turn off the screen

7. cycler15 thread starter macrumors member

Ah, since this is my first laptop I'm wasn't sure what is considered a high temp. Does anyone know if closing the lid while running an external monitor makes the laptop hotter because less air flow? Should I keep the lid open or closed when using the computer for long periods of time?