turn off second iMac monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mwp98223, Jun 27, 2007.

1. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

I have a second monitor connnected to my iMac (20" C2D)

Is there an easy way to turn off the second monitor so the iMac does not detect it? I turn the 2nd screen off when I'm not using it, but obviously, if it is still connected to iMac it is detected. This can cause the mouse and items to get "lost" on the second screen and it also draws on the VRAM. I would like to disable the second monitor without having to disconnect it and reconnect it each time I want to use it.

Is there an easy way to do this?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

System Preferences > Display > Check "Show displays in Menu Bar"

Look at your menu bar... Turn on mirroring when you aren't using the other monitor.

3. mwp98223 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh yes, this would prevent items from getting "lost" on the second screen. Thank you.

Does that resolve the resource issue? The reason I even noticed this, I raised the resolution on the second monitor, and it prevent the animation of Fast Account Switching from happening.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Interesting solution. Would this still work if the secondary monitors's maximum resolution is lower than the iMac's native resolution?

5. mwp98223 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good pickup. I hadn't thought of this, until I tried the solution. Since the second monitor is older and then the iMac, when mirroring, the iMac is forced to the reduced resolution of the second monitor. So, this solution doesn't work for me as it creates a worse problem then the small vRam drain caused by the extended desktop.

6. Jessy macrumors regular

This is unnecessary. Do that thing where you put the display preferences in the menu bar, but when you turn off the second monitor, just hit "Detect Displays". You'll save your precious resources and your mouse will only go where you can see it.

Obviously, your second monitor will have to be off for this to work. If it's not working despite it being off, then it's a ridiculous issue with your monitor and you'll need to rip out that jerk's lifeline each time you want him to go away.

7. mwp98223 thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, doesn't seem to work. The second monitor is turned off, I click on "detect displays". The mouse still leaves the screen and I can drag open windows to the dark space.