Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Any tweak out there to stop the Health app from tracking your steps in iOS 8?

My wife and I found out that it's doing that and it's just donwright creepy that you can't turn it off.

Sure you can set the data to not show in the dashboard, but it's still recording.

We are on 8.1.1 and 8.1.2, so maybe we are missing a setting from a later update?

Even so, again, is there a tweak to shut this off?

ivandr

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Any tweak out there to stop the Health app from tracking your steps in iOS 8?

My wife and I found out that it's doing that and it's just donwright creepy that you can't turn it off.

Sure you can set the data to not show in the dashboard, but it's still recording.

We are on 8.1.1 and 8.1.2, so maybe we are missing a setting from a later update?

Even so, again, is there a tweak to shut this off?

Did you go to Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness and turn off step tracking there? (That's from my phone on 8.3 however I'm pretty sure it's the same setting on 8.X-8.3...)

Can I ask why you think that your phone recording the number of steps/fitness level is creepy? This is information stored locally, not getting passed on to Apple or anything

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Did you go to Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness and turn off step tracking there? (That's from my phone on 8.3 however I'm pretty sure it's the same setting on 8.X-8.3...)

Can I ask why you think that your phone recording the number of steps/fitness level is creepy? This is information stored locally, not getting passed on to Apple or anything

I tried (the setting) but I don't have that option in my Settings.

I'm not so much bothered by it as it seems to be quite inaccurate and more to do with CPU cycles (in my research about it) but my wife is creeped out because she doesn't like anything about her being recorded without her knowledge or consent, even if it's local.

I have to do some checking, but there was a daemon about the health kit I disabled using iCleaner Pro. Wondering if that might have disabled it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.