Turn off the internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kmo19, Mar 4, 2009.

1. kmo19 macrumors member

I tend to just leave my new mac pro on all the time so I don't have to re-open apps and get all my windows back into their proper Spaces, but I wonder if there's an easy way to disable the internet while I'm not using it, short of disconnecting the ethernet cable. I've looked through System Prefs and can't seem to find that option.

(I've spent too many years with PCs and become paranoid of viruses and such if I just leave a computer exposed to the internet)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You, uh...

can assign applications to always open in a specific Space, you know.;)

NOTHING can happen with the Internet without your say-so. You need no such protection.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Leaving your mac connected to the internet all the time has 0 consequences. Btw. its really bad to leave your computer on 24/7...

4. Zyniker macrumors 6502

First, this is thoroughly pointless on a Mac.

Second, System Preferences >> Network >> (little cog in the lower left corner) >> Make Service Inactive

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... No, it isn't. Just put it to sleep when you're not using it.

6. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Let's not make him more paranoid, eh? There's nothing wrong with leaving your computer on all the time...unless you're an enviro-crazy. In that case, if you leave your computer on all the time you're basically raping 'Mother Earth'... ;)

7. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

To do this you could go into Network Preferences, select Ethernet, select the "Gear" icon at the bottom, and "Make Service Inactive". That's a bit of a long way to go when you could just unplug the cable.

Having said that, I don't know your specific situation but with a decent router/firewall and some minimal protection (not having all ports opened, passwords, etc.) it is not something that I feel the need to do. Unless I am traveling my computer is sitting on the net all the time.

8. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

My friend left her iBook G4 on all the time. The first time she shut it down, it didn't boot up again. I'd say that's a bad thing...

9. kmo19 thread starter macrumors member

Even so, I generally use 9 Spaces, and keep Finder and Firefox windows on more than half of them. It's annoying in Firefox that I have to choose an open window, select "File->New", then move the new Firefox instance to the Space I want. Why can't I right click on it in the dock and open it in whatever Space I'm in, like you can do with Finder?

10. grue macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Use tabs for the Internet.

Who uses multiple pages anymore? And who would put them in more than one Space? :p

12. kmo19 thread starter macrumors member

I do use tabs. I have dual monitors. So say in Space 4 in have Photoshop on the left monitor, and I have Firefox on the right monitor, perhaps open to some PS tutorials or other resources. In Space 5 I have Flash on the left monitor, and Firefox open on the right with some Flash blogs or whatever. I could go on... suffice it to say that it's nice to have the internet side by side with my apps in their own spaces so wherever I'm working I don't have to switch back to whatever space Firefox is open in.

13. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I never use tabs. I just don't like them. I guess I'm weird.

14. TrapOx macrumors 6502