Turn off TV when Apple TV goes to sleep?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Boyd01, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have a 5 or 6 year old Sony Bravia LCD TV and a new Apple TV connected via HDMI. As far as I can tell, there is no way to make the TV power down (or go into standby mode) when the Apple TV goes to sleep.

Sony supports some kind of communication with an HDMI device for this, but it does not recognize the Apple TV as being compatible. If I connect a computer to the VGA port on the Bravia, it will go into standby mode with the loss of signal, but that doesn't happen with an HDMI device. I have dug through all the menus and there doesn't seem to be any setting that will do this.

So is there some kind of box/converter that I could pass the HDMI through that would tell the TV to power down if the signal is lost? I guess I could convert the HDMI to VGA and analog audio, but seems kind of silly. :)

2. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

My seven-year-old Panasonic Plasma has a function where the TV will power down when there is no signal detected for 10 minutes. That should do it, if your set has that functionality.

3. Boyd01 thread starter macrumors 68040

Boyd01

The Bravia just displays a message "No signal, check the external input". I have already enabled the menu function to go into standby on loss of signal, but apparently that only affects the VGA input. So the TV "knows" there is no signal, it just won't power down automatically.

I actually had an old Panasonic Plasma also, and it would power down automatically.