Turn off update nag alerts?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by rexone, Oct 4, 2015.

1. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    My iPhone keeps nagging me to apply the latest iOS 9 update.
    The only option to dismiss are something like 'install tonight' and 'remind me later'.
    I don't want to install tonight or be reminded later. I'll do it when I get the time & I resent being nagged daily to update.
    I cannot find anywhere to turn off this intrusive & annoying nagging.
    Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yes, update. there is no turning that off.

3. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Maybe if you delete the update from storage? If you're already on iOS 9 though it's probably best to update. Also, if you don't have time then what's wrong with letting it install overnight?

4. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Ever since iOS9 i also noticed this when i ran 9.0 they keep asking you once or twice a day to update to the latest version later or tonight. It's so annoying you can't turn that off. In iOS7,8 this popup only came up when a new version was available not each and every day. In the end i did update my devices to 9.0.1 and i'm now running 9.0.2

5. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Only way to stop it is to do the update. Like the man from Nike says, just do it.

6. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

There's a way to stop these alerts, but this process has to be performed immediately when a new update is released.

1. Check for Update, and click Download and Install.

2. As soon as the update begins downloading, go to Usage, look for the update, and remove it.

3. Finally, go to Software Update again, and select Download and Install, but this time Decline the Terms of Use.

This prevents iOS from downloading any OTA update automatically, but this process has to be done as soon as an update is released before iOS fetches it.

Additionally, this will prevent the annoying, unremovable notification badge on Settings.

Proof that this works:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

7. pacorob macrumors 65816

pacorob

Thanks man, so you are saying that with my mother which has an iPhone 4s running 7.1.2 and has this annoying notification badge (indicates 1) that she cannot remove it with this work around. You have to do it before Apple pushed it?

8. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Yes, precisely.

Because the only way to remove it is by restoring.