Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Now that this MBA boots up in the fraction of the time than my original macbook did, would it be beneficial for my mba in the long run to make a proactive effort to shut it down completely when I can or is it okay for me to leave it on standby like I'm used to and restart/turn off like maybe once a week? Beneficial in terms of its longevity I guess.

DJBBOX

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
Miami, FL
if you're talking about battery life the key here is to POWER CICLE that battery. meaning= let the battery drain completely at least once per month and also keep the electrons flowing by using the battery to at least a 30% before plugin it in for charge.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
if you're talking about battery life the key here is to POWER CICLE that battery. meaning= let the battery drain completely at least once per month and also keep the electrons flowing by using the battery to at least a 30% before plugin it in for charge.

I understand that is unnecessary on modern apple laptops, like our MBAs. Apple uses a very smart battery controller which makes sure to cycle and load-balance the cells automatically during regular use (that is how they achieve 1000 cycles vs 300 before). This does the same thing as power cycling the battery. Additionally, lithium-ion batteries like to be plugged in and trickle charging to top them off, they don't like to be charged fast from a low charge.

So all you're doing is adding to your "cycles" count and reducing the long-term life of the battery... slightly. Not by much.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
While it's recommended to exercise the battery to keep it healthy, you can recharge at any time. You don't have to drain it to 30% before recharging. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

DJBBOX

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
Miami, FL
you can read this apple article
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
what i mention IS under the standard maintenance section of the article.
IT IS NOT UNNECESSARY. is STANDARD MAINTENANCE on modern notebooks including MB, MBP and MBA.

and the 30% battery drain part is more of personal opinion not included in the article.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
you can read this apple article
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
what i mention IS under the standard maintenance section of the article.
IT IS NOT UNNECESSARY. is STANDARD MAINTENANCE on modern notebooks including MB, MBP and MBA.

and the 30% battery drain part is more of personal opinion not included in the article.
That's referring to a notebook that rarely gets used or cycled. That's not applicable to the OP's situation. It also says nothing about 30%, which is not required at all.
If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month.

DJBBOX

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
Miami, FL
yeah thats why i said that at the end of the post. maybe you did not see it as i had to edit the post. and yes that do not apply if you use your portable laptop as a main always on system. just don keep it plugged in all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.