Turn off "wake on mouse movement"

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
262
0
The heart of Europe
Hello!

I love how my mac (OS X 10.3.9) goes to sleep and wakes up without any problems, but:
I have a cat that is strolling around my room when I'm not at home. When she's up on my desk she touches the mouse and therefore wakes up my computer. As I don't want this to happen, I am searching for a way to make the computer wake on a mouse CLICK only. How can I turn off that it wakes on mouse movement?

Any help is welcome, thanks a lot.
-lex
 

MoparShaha

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2003
1,635
23
San Francisco
I've never seen a mac wake from just mouse movement only. Are you talking about actual sleep, or just the monitor going blank?
 
Comment

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
898
1
St. Louis
MoparShaha said:
I've never seen a mac wake from just mouse movement only. Are you talking about actual sleep, or just the monitor going blank?
I don't think it wakes from mouse movement with the apple pro mouse but I have a microsoft wireless optical mouse and mouse movement wakes my computer from sleep.
 
Comment

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
1,212
0
Chicago
i think he meant that the monitor wakes from sleep and not the computer...my monitor wakes from mouse movement from my apple bt mouse but i really hope your comp dosnt wake from actual "sleep" by moving your mouse...if it does then i think your comp has a DRUG PROBLEM! :p
 
Comment

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
262
0
The heart of Europe
buryyourbrideau said:
i think he meant that the monitor wakes from sleep and not the computer...my monitor wakes from mouse movement from my apple bt mouse but i really hope your comp dosnt wake from actual "sleep" by moving your mouse...if it does then i think your comp has a DRUG PROBLEM! :p
OMG, a drug problem - I have to look for some therapy group then ...

No, seriously: Mouse movement wakes the Computer from Suspend-to-RAM, commonly known as sleep. It's not just about the Monitor being activated again.
I do not use an Apple Mouse, though, I don't even have one (mac mini).
As iLikeMyiMac said, this could be related. I will check this as soon as i get my hands on an Apple Mouse.
Thanks for your help, any further comments on the topic are welcome!
Can anyone confirm that his Mac does not wake from sleep when the moving mouse is an Apple-made one?
 
Comment

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
772
1
In a Mauve Dream
lexfuzo said:
OMG, a drug problem - I have to look for some therapy group then ...

No, seriously: Mouse movement wakes the Computer from Suspend-to-RAM, commonly known as sleep. It's not just about the Monitor being activated again.
I do not use an Apple Mouse, though, I don't even have one (mac mini).
As iLikeMyiMac said, this could be related. I will check this as soon as i get my hands on an Apple Mouse.
Thanks for your help, any further comments on the topic are welcome!
Can anyone confirm that his Mac does not wake from sleep when the moving mouse is an Apple-made one?
My Apple BT mouse does not wake my Macs by merely moving it, I must click it. Perhaps it is time to find a new home for your kitties? Or shut down your Mac before you leave thge abode. Cheerios,
 
Comment

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.