Turn Off

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ottawaapplefan, Feb 4, 2009.

1. ottawaapplefan macrumors member

Is there a way to turn atv off besides on plugging it.

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

3. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

I have my ATV's power plugged into the on/off female plug of my receiver. That way, whenever I turn on/off my receiver the ATV does the same. Not sure if this is good for the ATV but thought it'd be better than leaving it on all the time. People think this is a good idea?

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

TuckBodi: Well, if the hard drive is running for any reason (sync, etc.) and you cut the power, it's not going to be doing any wonders for the machine. I mean, it's basically a computer running OS X - do you ever shut down your Mac by just yanking the power cord?
    So while the Apple TV should probably have a shutdown option, you probably aren't going about it in the best possible way.

irmongoose

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I just put mine in Standby Mode. Of course while in Standby Mode it can still Sync with iTunes so not sure exactly what Standby Mode does. Do you know if it ever spins down the hard drive like you can on a regular computer (i.e. no activity for a certain amount of time).

6. alFR macrumors 68020

I measured the power consumption of mine in and out of standby mode: exactly the same. Now I standby it and then turn it off at the wall.

7. jcschlic macrumors regular

I have mine hooked up to a surge strip. I just switch the button on the surge strip when I want to turn it on. Then, when I want to turn it off, I put it in standby mode, then switch the surge strip back off.

This may not be the best solution, but I have the Apple TV placed in an enclosed media cabinet. (door open when running, door closed when not) So obviously I couldn't have the thing running all the time...

8. Gee macrumors 65816

What is the power consumption? How much leccy am I wasting?