Turn on Mac Do Not Disturb when iPhone Do Not Disturb is on

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by knemonic, Nov 8, 2016.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Hi, anyone know if there is a way for your Mac to automatically turn on it's Do Not Disturb when your iPhone's Do Not Disturb is on?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

It appears that there is no way to do so.

For example: I turn on DnD on iPhone from 23:00 to 6:00. But I turn on DnD on Mac from 00:00 to 23:59 (yes, almost the entire day if not exactly). They don't share this setting. You need to set it up manually.

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bummer, with the accessibility to turn on DnD in the control center of the iPhone so easily, it would be very convenient where if you manually turn it on in the phone to have it turned on in the Mac as well, in fact I'm surprised Apple didn't think of this themselves.

I would also think this has to be an Apple created feature as the iPhone is pretty closed off system services wise, so you can't install an app that would provide such a feature to sync up with the same app on a Mac.

I'd pay a dollar for an app to have this ability :)

4. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Someone would need to bribe Apple 20 billion to have this feature (jk).

5. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

So basically what you want is a feature like "Mirror iPhone" in the Watch app.

6. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sort of, just want the Mac to turn on dnd when the iPhone has it turned on. Seems like it would make sense cause why would you want the phone to ring on your MacBook when you have your phone ignoring those kinds of things, or texts, or emails...

From what I've seen, Apple has really started to integrate the Mac and iphone more and more. I went to buy something on jet.com and was able to use Apple Pay from my MacBook through my phones Touch ID. It was smooth and awesome.

So this simply seems to be an extension of that and it would really be appreciated. Good example is a student, they might not want to be distracted by calls, texts, emails, when writing a hue term paper, and if they want to be if it is an emergency, the same features are there to enable that. My wife doesn't like getting millions of texts while working from home and it's ideal for the phone to activate dnd automatically on her Mac, since it's more convienent to activate it on the phone once.

7. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

Or what if you had "Mirror iPhone" enabled, and used your Watch to enable DND, and that enabled DND on your Mac?

8. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would work too :)

9. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

It's fun to dream up new (read: actual) innovation.

10. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

FYI, you can toggle DnD on the Mac by clicking the notification center icon while holding option. Makes it a little more convenient.

11. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

You can also create a keyboard shortcut to enable/disable DnD on mac. Mine is Control + Alt + D. Quick and easy

12. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, I read both those techniques are available. But I and as I assume others have tendency to forget to do it on one or the other, so just feels like there could be a better solution :)

13. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 6502a

If you tend to enable DND at a set time, try setting a schedule on each device.

14. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, but I'm looking for alternatives as my wife works from home and her need to enable dnd is sporadic, she's on conformance calls in and off all day so having one button do it for all is ideal. Personally I already have my phone dnd to go on and off each night and morning.