Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squaremon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hi, i just got my new imac 2 days ago. I was wondering is there another to turn on the power without pressing the power from button? (cuz i remember u can power on from the keyboard b4) thx :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That was a long time ago, friend... Sorry. :(

You can only power on any of the current or recent Macs (going back for the whole decade and then some, I think) from the power button on the unit itself.

If it's sleeping, which you can well do instead of turning it off, you have numerous other options. You can...

- Wake it with a wired or wireless keyboard
- Wake it with a wired or wireless mouse
- Wake it with the Apple remote control
- Etc....

txnoob

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
Is it that hard to reach around the back and press a button? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

That's got to be my biggest beef with my Mini, the power button is on the back. I don't mind pushing a button, but it could be more accessible. However, since I don't usually turn my Mini off, and this is so far my only issue, I'll let it be.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

We've had this debate many times, so perhaps let's not do it again? MacRumors members with disabilities have made very good cases that it is that hard for them to reach around the back, for instance. Also many of us have computers in various home theater setups where they are tucked out of the way. For instance, this isn't with a Mac mini, but I have an EeeBox mounted on the rear of my television. It's controlled with a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad combo. Unfortunately, unlike a Mac, the EeeBox doesn't even wake up from the keyboard. I do live fine with having to reach around the TV to the power button, but it would be really nice in that case if there were another way to wake it....

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

As a disabled person I can tell you that it is a pain to have to turn the iMac on. To the point that I only turn it off if I'm going away for more than a day.
It's not as bad as some, I once had a dell that I had to send back because I could not turn it on.
But please think before you judge.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
We've had this debate many times, so perhaps let's not do it again?

I know this will come as a surprise to you but I, in fact, have not read every thread at this forum so I didnt know it had been debated many times.

As a disabled person I can tell you that it is a pain to have to turn the iMac on. To the point that I only turn it off if I'm going away for more than a day.
It's not as bad as some, I once had a dell that I had to send back because I could not turn it on.
But please think before you judge.

That never crossed my mind, I apologize if I offended anyone. If the OP had said "Im disabled and I cant reach the back" I certainly wouldnt have said what I said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.