Turn your iPhone into a Laptop. Will this be any good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrummerB, Oct 12, 2008.

1. DrummerB macrumors member

2. kleo macrumors regular

3. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Wow, you powers of deduction are startling, especially when you consider this is a concept shot. ;)

5. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Wow the concept will probably fail Apple will sure then itll be all gone like Psystar

6. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

+1. Enlighten me kleo, enlighten me. :p

7. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

iPhone powered computer

I dont know if ths has been discussed or if this is even in the right section but i couldnt think anywhere else to put.

But would you guys consider an iPhone powered netbook. I mean it could be viable if Apple does increase the processing power and Hard drive space. and they could port the native apps to better fit a desk-top and use the iPhone screen as the mouse pad. A low cost low power netbook and the best mobile device(not just a phone) in one.

I think it would be a great idea. I'd sell my Macbook and my BB Bold to get and iPhone, one of these and an iMac.

What do you guys think?

Here is a concept:
    http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/10/10/the-olo-computer-iphone-powered-netbook-concept/

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It would be too slow without having apple involvement. Even with apple involvement they could only get about 1.25ghz out of it. I sure wouldn't buy one at the speed especially for how much it would cost.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The same concept is coming out soon for a WinMo powered phone from i-Mate:

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=3143

The phone will fit into the netbook case as the CPU and touchpad.

10. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

i think that kind of defeats the purpose of the iPhone.

just wait until they release the 7-9 inch ipod touch. that's the only netbook you'll ever need

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, if they do one.

Still, using a phone as part of the ensemble also gives you 3G capability for when you're out of WiFi range.

A lot of us have a Celio Redfly for use with our WinMo phones. The phone can be put in a pocket for use anytime. The terminal part can be carried in a briefcase or left at a desk for more stationary use.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I merged you into a previous thread discussing the topic (the blog you quoted is from last October)....

13. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Oh. Well thanks for merging it then. i think its relevant now because of all the people making netbooks and an expected iPhone in June.

Not really. its an extension of the iPhone. the iPhone becomes your laptop and you phone which is a lot less weight to carry around. And as a student at school i just need to take notes from lectures, browse a little and listen to music so it would perfect for me.

I think its the only cheap way apple could make a netbook, and bonus for them people need to buy an iPhone to go along with it. thats if they decide to lock it down that much.

14. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

400mhz and 64MB of pure...speed?

Nice thought, but that's where it ends. The screenshot itself means you would need a bunch of extra software stored on flash memory somewhere. I'm not using a gigabyte or whatever of my limited iPhone storage to store OS X. It would also need MUCH more than 64MB of memory to run, and you just can't fit that in an iPhone. You would probably need the 64MB of memory just to run the video on such a netbook.

Apple is much more likely to create a touchscreen tablet about the size of the Kindle. It would be able to hold more guts and would kill the Kindle if Apple ever wanted to.

Anyway, Apple kinda already makes a netbook. It's called the MacBook Air. Go to the refurb section and get one for $1,000.

16. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

it's gotta fool somebody

17. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

netbooks are not freakishly expensive like the macbook air. there cheap as in hundreds

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I know, hence my "sorta" remark. But it has reduced power and lesser features -- yet somehow is more expensive. But I think that's about as much of a netbook as you'll see out of Apple. Once you get down smaller than the 13" keyboard, you're really getting too small for people with normal hands. Mac OS also has way too many capabilities for Apple to strip 'em out for a fraction of the market. Apple has been building market share with their recent strategy, so I just don't see them going after that market.

But as I said, I wouldn't be shocked to see some touchscreen tablet with a slighty more functional OS/firmware than the iPhone.

19. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Because it is the fastest growing computer market. Because of the economic downturn and people will buy a cheaper computer. Because people who travel and student will want something with a less weight and less power to carry around.

To me a netbook will attract more people then a 7-9 inch tablet.