Turn Your iTouch into a Half Decent Phone For Free

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Los, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Los macrumors regular

Viber was released not too long ago and it's working like it should be. You can call any other Viber user on your contacts list for free on Wi-Fi or 3G anywhere in the world. Sounds great, and although they say that the iPad and iPod Touch isn't supported, I found a nice loophole. This completely worked for my brothers iPod Touch 4G running 4.1 and felt that I should share.

First, you'll need to get a Text Free App that gives you a working number like TextPlus, which is what we used or Text Free Unlimited. Do all that's required in that app to get that free phone number. Once you get it, note it down for later.

Now, find Viber and install it on your iPod Touch. Once it's done, fire it up and it'll tell you if you want to turn push notifications on, say OK, and then it'll keep telling you that it's not fully supported for the iTouch yet, click OK and ignore all that. Now, get that phone number that we got earlier with the free texting app and dial it where it tells you to. Click Continue. Then, you should receive a text message telling you this 4 digit code that Viber needs. Great, remember the code, then put it on Viber and that's it! Your iPod Touch is now a phone, with some limits of course.

So far, you can call other Viber users and it completely works. I heard my brother just fine when he was talking to his iTouch and he said he could hear me well, but I think it was better to use the headphones since the iTouch's speakers aren't as well built as the iPhones. But it works nonetheless and it's totally free. Enjoy.

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Skype with google voice over Viber IMO. Use GV for free texting and skype for 3 bucks a month for unlimited phone to other skype users and regular phone. Viber limits you to only viber users when using it on the touch and skype has a greater following then viber. You can also forward your GV number to ring your skype number so you only need to give out one number to people.