Turn your iTouch into an iPhone!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wtl, Jul 27, 2010.

1. wtl macrumors newbie

A chinese "山寨" factory annouced that they have invented an accessory that could turn iTouch into an iPhone, let's see their pictures...

[​IMG]
    the left is the accesssory which they named "苹果皮",in english may be "apple shell"; the middle is an iTouch; the right is an iPhone.

[​IMG]
    put iTouch into the apple shell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    compare with iPhone

[​IMG]
    sms

[​IMG]
    phone record

[​IMG]
    setting

[​IMG]
    the phone board

2. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Interesting. I do not know where you could save money since you need a sim card with a data plan and all. And then you can simply buy one together with an iPhone.

Or am I missing something?

3. Silofolous macrumors member

Likely it is for people who already have an iPod Touch and don't have the money to spend on an iPhone. I'm guessing.

4. wtl thread starter macrumors newbie

em...

the cheapest iPhone sold by China UniCom is 5999 yuan, the cheapest iTouch in China is 1399 yuan(iTouch 2rd 8G)
    and this "apple shell" maybe 300 - 500 yuan which converts to USD is about 40 - 75$

1399 + 500 << 5999 so if it's true, it really save people a lot of money

5. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

That's true. But my point is that you need a sim card for operating the shell to be able to do phone calls. Plus it should have a data plan (because an iPhone without internet is senseless in my eyes) - so that cheap pre-paid stuff is not useful. And when you are paying for the data plan every month, then you can simply buy an iPhone. Or are those data plans for iPhones more expensive than for other cell phones so you could save some money?

Or do you pay those 5999 yuan once and then have a full operational iPhone for unlimited time?

6. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Looks like it would need some custom software to do it, I can't see how a shell will just add phone capability. Jailbreak?

7. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

You can see a sim card in the shell (first picture). I suppose it connects via the dock connector (or how it is called) and you get access to the 3g network. However, you will probably need a software update.

Edit: There is more stuff in the shell, not only the sim card, so maybe you do not need a software modification.

8. cubist macrumors 68020

Completely disagree!

The one thing that prevents me from getting an iPhone is the necessity for the data plan. If I could get a voice-only one I'd get it right away, but I refuse to pay for an overpriced cellular data plan - I already have an overpriced Comcast internet service, and WiFi is fine for me.

I've thought about getting a used iPhone and putting a SIM card in it and trying to block it from using the cell data, but my impression is that the iPhone won't work that way. In fact, most Android phones won't work that way either. Stupid.

9. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

If you buy it you cant escape the data? Thats stupid.

YEAH! Somebody from IN!

10. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

It will use the cell data although you do not want to? Is that possible? I have no idea so I am only curious.

11. wtl thread starter macrumors newbie

The lowend data plan provided by China Unicom is a two years contract which each month you should pay 98 yuan for 340M data.
    But it exceeds the normal people's purchasing capacity, most of consumer only spend 20 - 40 yuan in communication, even though this take up 2% of their income.
    Will you spend 10 percent of your month salary in phone call or safariing on the web?
    I think the answer is No.

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

That's not a bad idea......... Innovative....... But I'll rather get an iPhone! :D

13. v2allen macrumors regular

v2allen

iPhone

I'd much rather get the iPhone 4g, but thats just me!

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

In the lala land... Sorry got sidetracked there.

I guess it matters. If the service is free then id rather go with that, even though it would look incredibly ridiculous, especially in public.

15. ademuth93 macrumors regular

Minnesota: Land of the Lakes? You betcha!
    What's an iTouch? lololololololol! But seriously, and within the rules of this board:

I totally don't support this endeavor for a "phoned-up" iPod touch. I personally want Apple to make as much money as possible so they can innovate better, and a good chunk of their profits come from iPhone sales and contracts. With third parties doing crap like this :)mad:), Apple makes less money and I get less quality in my products.

16. OGDaniel, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015

OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

Hey OP, nice advertisement for your stupid accessory.

17. FallenAnjel macrumors member

Just use iTouch w/ Skype and you have a phone.

Granted, you have to have Wifi to use skype, but it works, because I used it.

18. classie787 macrumors member

Liamkp--I'm a total newbie here, and just recently discovered what an iPod Touch even was when I picked up my cousin's Touch (needless to say I was amazed!)...but why do you say it would look ridiculous? To me it looks just like an iPhone 4 with a protective outer case, no? What am I missing?

19. iSpaghettiCat, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015

iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

This was reported on many other sites way before he posted this :rolleyes:

20. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I am not sure about the contracts. I think they stopped it (get a fraction from the money you pay for the data plans) sometimes in the past.

21. v2allen macrumors regular

v2allen

22. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I think the case looks ridiculous. It kinda looks like you have a slab of play-doh covering your Touch, especially the blue one.
    I dont think Apple gets a profit from the iPhone plans. But they most likely do for the iPad data plans.

23. classie787 macrumors member

Well we can agree on that, Liamkp...that blue one sure is ugly!

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Yep. Good old play-doh cases. ;)

Maybe it should be more stylish?

25. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

It is most likely for either for people who cant get a contract because of credit and dont want to pay $600+, dont want an iPhone, dont want the data, or arent on ATT. Just guesses. If it were more stylish it would be a good idea.