Turned Bondi blue iMac on first time in 6 years

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by trickyred, Nov 20, 2011.

1. trickyred macrumors member

Last time it saw any action was my wedding night (make your own jokes up) when I used it as the virtual DJ and loaded it up with iTunes (2!!) and 7 hours of music.

I was getting all nostalgic and decided to try and get the songs off of it, and to my delight it booted first time. It's running system 9.2, and to my amazement it recognised and allowed me to copy all the tracks off to a 16gb Kingston USB stick!!

The only thing that concerned me is for the first few mins the screen would flicker once or twice every 30secs or so with a cracking noise accompaning each flicker, but after 45mins of being on that seems to have stopped - dust on the innards perhaps?? I've no idea.

Very happy!!

2. adcx64, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

3. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

This is totally funny. I also booted up my Bondi Blue iMac [G3 600Mhz / 384MB RAM] I decided to install Tiger on it today. It hasn't been 6 years, but I'm thinking it has been like 2 years. I am leaving the panther partition on it, and installing Tiger to a 2nd partition. I had to pull the drive, make a superduper copy of the panther partition, then install it into my G4 Digital Audio, then install Tiger, superduper the panther partition back to the drive, and move the drive back to the G3. Darn I wish I had a slot-loading DVD drive. Would have made the whole thing easier.

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Seems that all the guys here at PPC forums are having fun huh?

5. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Yeah, you gotta get that MDD back! :p

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Actually I have two MDD's, the other one is now on a box, packed up. It has Leopard on it on a 160 WD HDD. I am still thinking what shall I do with it.

My problem is that I have no room for it.

Last I did was to pull out the CPU, cleaned and put a fresh thermal paste on it. Fired it up, install some games and did a time machine backup. After that it was back to the box.

Next year my plan is to hoard on those colored iMacs... Bondi blue looks great.

7. Zeke D, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

You could always think of those of us still running Digital Audio G4s. Share and share alike :)

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

If you think of it DA's are more upgradable than the FW800 MDD's which are stucked to 1.42GHz.

You can have up to 1.8GHz dual processor upgrade on a DA? Am I right?

9. iMacC2D, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  10. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Yeah but I would rather have a MDD. I have RAM and video cards for the MDD. I would love to have a MDD.