Turned computer on. iTunes empty

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ravich, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

My iTunes library is on a separate drive, but it's never done this before. I have a mac pro so it's not like I could have removed the drive to screw anything up. I dont want to change the library location because I'm afraid that it will force me to delete a bunch of duplicates like iTunes always seems to do when I import -.-

Any idea what might have caused this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your library is stored on a separate drive and, for any reason, that drive wasn't available at the time you launch iTunes, it won't find your files. Make sure the drive is mounted and working properly, then relaunch iTunes.

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have access to all of the files on the drive, but quitting iTunes and reopening yields the same result.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you still have the iTunes Media library folder location set properly in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced?

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

iTunes is pretty hopeless in that regard: If you open it up and the drive you have your library on isn't available, it doesn't warn you or anything sensible like that, it just creates a new library in the default location and sets it as the default.
    Unless you set it back manually, it will just continue to use the new blank library it has created

6. swinneyn macrumors member

swinneyn

I'm in the same boat as you! It only happened since I upgraded to the latest version of itunes. I know what the other people are talking about the drive not being available, that's easy to fix, but this is like the library data is just missing...

7. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I changed the library location and it isnt automatically updating itself. What am I supposed to do?

8. 548827 macrumors member

This happened to me last year... I just waited a week and after downloading a fresh update it was all there again. Good luck

9. davids8477 macrumors 6502

Launch itunes while holding down the option key.

It will ask you to select a library.

Navigate to your library and you should be all set.

10. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried it, and unfortunately it is still blank.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then create a new iTunes library and add your music to the new library.

12. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there any way in particular to do this without creating duplicates? -.-

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you start with a clean library and you don't have duplicate files already, it's simple. Just uncheck these boxes in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced:
    iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG
    Then open your new empty library and click File > Add to Library and select the folder that contains your music files.

14. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent, that did the trick! What I'm wondering is how I add music to my library from now on, if iTunes wont do the organizing by itself.

I cant simply drag the files, can I? Do I have to put them directly in the iTunes media folder?

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Check the box to add music to library. So new music will be copied.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The way I do it is to drag new music to the existing music folder, then Add to Library and select the folder just added. You don't have to re-check the box and have iTunes manage your music. You can continue to manage it yourself.