Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
For those who haven't heard of freedompop, basically if your area has it available, you can pay a $100 refundable deposit on the mobile hotspot device, and you get 500mb of 4G internet a month for free. You can pay extra per MB if you go over, or you can upgrade to a 4GB plan for $30 a month. I am starting out with the free 500mb plan.

I spent this afternoon testing it out. I basically listened to several music streaming apps (pandora, turntable, songza) on my iPod, while I cycled for 3 hours and 52 miles.

ScreenShot2012-11-02at62114PM.png

For me, the connection was reliable and steady. It didn't drop. Speed isnt terribly fast 1.5mb down, 250kb up. But its sufficient for most tasks. I even did a facetime call with my gf and both our audio was clear, and our video was smooth.

I don't know how long the battery life is on a full charge, and how good the connection is in different areas or hours, but so far, so good.

The device is thin, compact, and very, very light. You should be able to fit it, and the iPod Touch together in even the smallest of pockets comfortably.

It has just about all the adjustable settings that a home router has. You can log into it from any web browser and configure it the same way.

I don't know if the free 500MB a month allowance will be enough for me. If not, I may upgrade.

I definitely recommend this for people who have freedompop available for their area and want to make their iPod Touch a poor mans iPhone.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
For some reason, I think this is an incredibly neat concept. Let me get one thing straight, though: you paid $100 for the device itself, which will provide 500mb of data per month for free by default? :eek: So just by owning the device, you have data available, right?

If so, I would definitely get one.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I've tried to do this with freedom pop unfortunately I have very spotty service at home and I don't find the speeds fast enough for me when I'm in the city.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
For some reason, I think this is an incredibly neat concept. Let me get one thing straight, though: you paid $100 for the device itself, which will provide 500mb of data per month for free by default? :eek: So just by owning the device, you have data available, right?

If so, I would definitely get one.

Yes, the 500mb data is free. And anytime I decide to stop using the service, I will have the $100 refunded to me when I send the device back (assuming it is not damaged or broken).

They are able to provide the 500mb plan for free because they make money from overages, extra features, and premium plans. Which are all optional.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
It's buried deep in the terms of service but there are a number of reasons you may not get your $100 back. For one thing, you don't get it after 1 year of service:

http://www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm

If we collect a deposit from you and you terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service (or we terminate your subscription other than for your breach of these Terms), we will refund the deposit (less any amounts that you owe to us) to your registered payment method within 90 days after the date on which you return the Equipment to us, on condition that: (a) FreedomPop is still actively providing the same Equipment to users of the Broadband Service; (b) you (or we) terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service within 1 year of the start date of your subscription; and (c) you return all Equipment to us (at your expense) within 30 days of the date on which either: (i) you notify us that you wish to terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service; or (ii) we notify you that we are terminating your subscription to the Broadband Service

You're also responsible for the cost of returning it.

"To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you are responsible for paying all shipping, insurance and any other costs in connection with your return of Equipment for any reason."

Also, most of Freedompop's service is Wimax, with a few areas of LTE. Sprint is steadily turning off Wimax and Clearwire (Wimax provider) is bankrupt. There won't be any Wimax in the near future.

Enjoy it while it's still working and hope to get your money back when it stops!

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
It's buried deep in the terms of service but there are a number of reasons you may not get your $100 back. For one thing, you don't get it after 1 year of service:

If we collect a deposit from you and you terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service (or we terminate your subscription other than for your breach of these Terms), we will refund the deposit (less any amounts that you owe to us) to your registered payment method within 90 days after the date on which you return the Equipment to us, on condition that: (a) FreedomPop is still actively providing the same Equipment to users of the Broadband Service; (b) you (or we) terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service within 1 year of the start date of your subscription; and (c) you return all Equipment to us (at your expense) within 30 days of the date on which either: (i) you notify us that you wish to terminate your subscription to the Broadband Service; or (ii) we notify you that we are terminating your subscription to the Broadband Service

"To the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, you are responsible for paying all shipping, insurance and any other costs in connection with your return of Equipment for any reason."

Also, most of Freedompop's service is Wimax, with a few areas of LTE. Sprint is steadily turning off Wimax and Clearwire (Wimax provider) is bankrupt. There won't be any Wimax in the near future.

Enjoy it while it's still working and hope to get your money back when it stops!

Having the service for 1 year is not an issue since it can be free if needed. If the company does go out of business, or they try to pull some funny business, I paid it with my credit card, and they have been really good about refunding my purchases when sketchy things happen.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

Sprint is NOT turning ANY WiMAX towers off until 2015, and Clearwire was purchased by Sprint. (Source - I'm a shareholder of Sprint)

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Looks neat, they have one for my area and the advertised device is an iPod Touch 4th Gen sleeve. I might consider a 5th gen case as I think the 5th gen is a little to slick for my hands.

ChuckNorrised

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Thinking about buying one...

I'm thinking about buying one, but I'm unsure if 500MB will suffice. I may get the $4 plan for 50% faster speeds, which may suffice, but I want to be able to have more data and not pay a HUGE amount for just 2GB of data and it's ONLY 4G D: So I am still deciding and looking at reviews, overall, the free data seems reasonable since it's FREE, but the paid plans are ridiculous, so I may look into other carriers.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Straight Talk

Ok so you need a $150 iPhone 3GS or $250 iPhone 4 but you'll get a real phone then :)

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
You might also look into the Karma wifi hotspot. It costs $79 to purchase the hotspot device and it comes with 1GB of 4G data. The data does not expire. When you use up your 1GB each additional 1GB costs $14. Its essentially a no-contract, pay-as-you-go arrangement that encourages you to share your hotspot with others. Each time a new user connects to your Karma hotspot, that new person gets 100MB of free data to use and the Karma owner also gets a free 100MB block of additional data.

https://yourkarma.com/

Last edited:

RMT25

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
any update on this?

is 500 mb enough for streaming music (from TuneIn Radio, spotify, pandora,etc.) 128 kbps, 1 - 1.5 hours a day? probably not lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.