Turned on iCloud Photo Library - Storage space doubled?!?!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Daniel97, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

My Usage of the photos app on my phone has just nearly double since turning on iCloud Photo Library?

What the feck?!

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

3. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Misleading thread title - perhaps "storage space halved" would have been more appropriate, as you give the impression you have "double the storage space in iCloud" using this title.

4. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry I used the wrong adjective.

But no I've got download and keep originals?

I don't want to keep crap quality on the phone and good ones online, I want good ones on the phone and good ones online as a back up.

I still cant work out if its only uploading existing photos to an online account why its also taking more of my storage away?

5. Imory macrumors 6502a

Another thing I wonder is if you keep the "optimized" version on your phone but the full resolution in the cloud, sharing a photo by airdrop means that others will get a heavily compressed photo?

6. big samm macrumors 65816

Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between Photo stream and iCloud photo library? It's really confusing... Thank you!

7. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

If you try to send a picture from a device that's optimized. It will pull the high quality one from iCloud when sending.

8. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Did you also turn on iCloud Photo Library on other devices? If you select "download and keep originals" then it will keep a copy of every single photo in your IPL whether the photo was originally taken on that device or not. So if you had 1G of photos on one device and 1G on another device, then selecting "download and keep originals" will cause photos to take up 2G because it will download the full version of all the photos.

Also, how much storage are we talking about? I think iPL does have a little bit of overhead to keep things organized and such, so if you only have a few photos and you went from 100M to 200M it might just be overhead. If you're talking about going from 4G to 8G and you don't have any photos on any other device then something definitely seems wrong.

9. Imory macrumors 6502a

Right, that's good. Although you're screwed if you don't have wifi or LTE.

Being on vacation trying to share pictures among friends and family.

10. BrettDS macrumors 65816

But if you don't have wifi or LTE then you can't share something anyway.

11. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ive only turned it on, on my iPhone so cant see why it moved! .. went from 2GB ish to 3.5 :S

12. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Has it pulled pictures from you iPad/Mac etc?

13. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. beady macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me when I activated my iPad to show my iPhone photostream. I deleted the last iCloud backup and did another backup even though it warned me I would be over my allowed amount.
    When it started backing up it realised there was only half the amount of data there that it had calculated.
    Do an iTunes backup first if you're not comfortable deleting your iCloud backup.

15. Imory macrumors 6502a

You can. Airdrop doesn't require Wifi.

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Are you 100% sure because they won't appear at the end of you photo library. They will be sorted by date.

17. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

18. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

I guess it's a trade off. My 13 gb of photos only take 600mb on my iPad. My iPad is always home so I have wifi. If it's a problem then optimizing the size is not an option. It's impossible to do both.

19. Imory macrumors 6502a

Right, but an iPhone is something you have with you everywhere you go. Oh well.

20. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Yes it does.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I'm pretty sure Imory means you don't need to be connected to a WiFi network for Airdrop to work.

22. Imory macrumors 6502a

I guess every time I travel and use Airdrop (BT), in Apples words, something "magical" happens between iPhones and iPads.

If you're only referring to tapping the Wifi button (even though you're not connected to any internet) then yes, it creates a form of ad-hoc network.

Spot on.