Turned On NEW Macbook for first time ... Battery is at 10%. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by wotai139, Feb 14, 2014.

1. wotai139 macrumors newbie

I just bought this mid-2013 11.6 inch macbook air from Futureshop. I turned it on, and the battery is at 10%.

I checked online to see unboxing videos on youtube and everyone seems to be at over 90% when they first turn it on. Did the store owner just give me one that is open box?

It was brand new, packaging and everything. I don't know if this is normal and am feeling a little uneasy. A little advice please?

Thank you so much.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

They do normally come with a bigger charge, but I wouldn't worry yet. Just charge it right up and see how the battery performs. You are totally covered so it's not a big deal.

3. MacLC macrumors 6502

It's unlikely that you got an open-box machine. A lot of factors including cold weather could have led to discharging of the battery in shipping.

A long time ago I got a PowerBook that a recall on the batteries and the new battery came with 5% left, but total cycles, 0. The delivery man who brought it explained to me that the battery was fully charged at the testing facility but could have been zapped due to cold delivery truck storage during snow storms.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep, cold weather could easily account for this...like I said, just charge it and then time the usage you get...I think you'll be fine.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

When you watch an unboxing video, it's mostly right after a release so the units have been recently charged. This unit could have been hanging around at the resellers awhile so obviously the charge will drop over time.
    As the others have said just charge it up and see how it performs. If there are any issues just get it swapped out. I'm sure it will be fine.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

10% charge is fine, the last MBP I got from the store was dead with the battery icon on the screen.

FYI, depending on what climate your in, I'm in the North East and at this time of year it's not surprising at all.

7. wotai139 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone, haha. This is my first mac and I was half expecting everyone to tell me I'm down on my luck or I got screwed.

Fully charged battery runs about right, so I guess it's good.

8. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Why would you be screwed? You could always return it.

Though, like others said cold weather is a main cause of battery decrease. Install Coconut Battery or check the System Report (Power tab) inside the About this Mac for a check on the battery cycle count. Anyways, you're fine.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I'm guessing they don't exactly fly off the shelves at this time of year. Big volume times are start of school year and Christmas. So yours may have arrived at the store as part of their Christmas stock in late November or December... in which case having a 10% charge is pretty good.