Turning 40... :(

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
Ok, my birthday is coming up, turning the big 40. The wife said that she was thinking of getting me a new MacBookPro; but sadly it has already been worked out where I will be, most likely, getting one at about 60% off. (Basically work buying out my old one and I'll just buy a new one)

Anyway, now she has no idea what to get me.... any suggestions?

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Really the smart thing to do is have a low key birthday. Making a big deal about "middle age", or not being young anymore just tends to get people depressed.

I say just treat it like another day. That's what I did back when I turned 40.

Probably the worst thing you can do is take up motorcycle riding, or suddenly buying a younger wardrobe because that just feeds into a middle age crisis.

Don't be sad, but embrace your age and realize there are folk way older than you who would consider you still a kid. :)

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Geritol, maybe? :D

Just kidding. 40 is only a couple of years away for me, so I know the feeling. I agree with 63 there. I don't really celebrate too much or get too upset. Mostly, I'm glad to survive another year. Getting older sure beats not seeing another birthday.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
There will be no party, no celebration, just me, the wife, and the kids. I don't care about getting older, it's a fact of life. So no big deal... but the wife wants to do something for me. :D

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Congratulations on your milestone

Hard to say concerning a gift without knowing what you already have

I suppose you have already considered the usual tech suspects:
iPad
external monitor/keyboard/mouse
external HDD for backups

Maybe you could use the money for a weekend getaway together to make memories instead of possessions :eek:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
Maybe you could use the money for a weekend getaway together to make memories instead of possessions :eek:
Does it have to be with the wife?

:D

Sadly, no where to leave the kids, it is frowned upon to lock them in the closet. Even if it is only for a few days.

OzExige

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Omnipresence
Does it have to be with the wife?

:D

Sadly, no where to leave the kids, it is frowned upon to lock them in the closet. Even if it is only for a few days.
Go with the closet idea, we wouldn't frown on it -
but, hey there are some crazies out there that may?

BTW Happy Birthday - I'm 3 away from the even bigger 60 - so don't YOU talk about middle age!

EDIT: Sorry you didn't complain - did you

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Happy Birthday, CylonGlitch!

If you're getting a new MBP, how 'bout having a big display as your birthday present? When you're at home it's great to have a large screen.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Hell, I'm 42 (43 at the end of the month) and I'm still kickin' it! Age is just a number. Have fun and enjoy yourself! There's lots to look forward to! :)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I turned 40 on Wednesday (the 10th). It was very low key, no big party or anything. Wife got us tickets to see Wynton Marsalis in concert a couple of weeks.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I turned 40 on Wednesday (the 10th). It was very low key, no big party or anything. Wife got us tickets to see Wynton Marsalis in concert a couple of weeks.
What's up with this? I had a huge party. I even had friends from high school and college come from out of town for the weekend. It was a frickin' EVENT. The pictures from it are hilarious. One person put together a little mini magazine and a DVD for it. 40 is a big deal! Be glad you've been lucky to live this long! Celebrate! Life is short. :)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
What's up with this? I had a huge party. I even had friends from high school and college come from out of town for the weekend. It was a frickin' EVENT. The pictures from it are hilarious. One person put together a little mini magazine and a DVD for it. 40 is a big deal! Be glad you've been lucky to live this long! Celebrate! Life is short. :)
Yeah, we had a huge surprise party when my wife turned 40 a couple of years ago and although I didn't particularly want one, I was sort-of expecting one. Apparently the surprise was on me after all. ;)

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Congrats. Now that is a classy way to celebrate.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
What? Can you back this up with evidence or are you just making wild assertions?

Shut them away. It'll do em some good*.

AppleMatt
*possibly

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y ! ! !

I just had a very small get-together with a few close friends. I didn't make a big deal out of turning 40. It is just another number.

As far as a gift, how about what Doctor Q is suggesting? If you're already getting an MBP, a nice monitor to go alongside with it sounds like a great idea.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
SoCal
99% of my computing is done on my lap in front of the TV while the wife and kids are in the room. I have 2 22" montiors that I can jack into when I want, but nothing special. I'm thinking of getting a Mac Mini, or an iMac 27". But then again, I really don't need it and it will be a bit of a waste.

I guess I'm happy with the MBP and I'll be getting a new iPhone as soon as it becomes available.