Turning a big screen into a picture frame with apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by needthephone, Apr 27, 2007.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I notice that the memory card picture frames are becoming popular (you put in a memory card and they display a picture as if its a photo picture frame)

So is it possible to use the big LCD screens apple TV's are connected to as picture frames-maybe you could set up aslide show with each picture staying on a few hours.

Is there a way to do this with apple TV as it seems a good application

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Doesn't sound very green to me....leaving a Hi-Def LCD tv on just to display a picture!

3. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Well it's a good thing that he wasn't asking if it was an energy-conscious thing to do then isn't it? ....

To actually address the question, I think that AppleTV has settings for how quick a slide show should move through the photos. I don't have one so I really have no idea but in everything I've read I think there is a setting to determine how quickly (or slowly) to change the pictures. I have a feeling that it is a lot quicker than an hour or so though.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

:rolleyes: Poor people.

5. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haden't thought about the green thing but a quick look on the net shows they are 2 to 4 times more power hungry than CRT's..So from that point of view a bit wasteful.

peoples attitudes are definetly changing

6. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

What about burn in? I would think that if you keep a picture on there for a couple hours, the pixels would burn into that image, and not really want to come out of it, like projectors and projection TV's, right?

7. rodti macrumors member

rodti

You can run a slideshow from either iPhoto or Aperture libraries, and can alter the time each slide stays up. I'm not sure what the max time per slide is but could check when I get home. The slideshow uses a 'Ken Burns' effect by default but this can be switched off leaving a static image for however long you've specified.