Turning a Guiter Hero controller into MIDI input for Garageband

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Petey05, May 2, 2008.

1. Petey05 macrumors newbie

Hey gang. Long time lurker/reader, first time poster.

Posted this over on the Apple Discussion board and there wasn't much consensus either.

I'm an Apple Campus Rep, and I had this cool idea for a campus activity where we could tie Guitar Hero into Garageband.

A lot of college kids love GH, but, as we all know, the skills don't necessarily translate over to real music. Hitting a few colored buttons =! playing a guitar.

But it could.

I'm looking for/to create an app that would allow a Mac user to connect a GH controller to Garageband. You could have the buttons automatically assigned to certain notes on a scale.

For instance, if the song was in the key of E minor, you might have the buttons assigned to the root, the minor third, the perfect fourth, the perfect fifth, and the octave. Then no matter what you noodle the tones will be theoretically correct over the backbeat of your song.

You could set one of the aux switches to go up or down an octave too.

I'm convinced that anything that allows GH fanatics to turn themselves into passable "musicians" has the potential to be a killer "switch" app.

Problem is I'm not much of a coder. But I'm willing to learn and give it a shot.

Now, http://www.osculator.net/wiki/ is a program for the Wii that allows you to play different musical instruments using Wiimote. It should theoretically be possible to hack this to for the GH Wii controller since you just put the Wiimote into the controller.

For a few days I also have at my disposal a Guitar Hero III for Mac setup, with a USB controller that goes right into the computer. I have no idea how to detect/modify the input though.

Is anyone interested in working on this project with me?

2. douglastoy macrumors newbie

Hey hey

Hey there,

I'm interested in finding out more about your Garage Band/Guitar Hero idea, did you ever get it off the ground?

Wondering also if you came up with any other great ideas like this during your time as a campus rep? I'd love to hear them.

3. Petey05 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, this is a blast from the past!

Yeah I did - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EorDE7hKyGs.

The ACR people never ran with it - I did a whole bunch of tutorials and documentation - but c'est la vie.

Good luck!

As for other ideas - sure, there were a ton, but that was a while ago, and I'm an old man now ;)