Turning a Mac into a server???

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I have an old Mac with a 200GB HD and it has access to the interent via my WiFi router, I am making a new website and would like to have an index page where people can download videos from my hardrive or use it to access files from my hardrive for the website,is there a easy way to do this?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
System prefs, sharing, personal web sharing. Then in your home directory there should be a sites folder. Add the stuff to be shared in that folder. The address for the web sever will be giving to you in the sharing menu when you click on personal web sharing.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I am using RoadRunner-cable interent behind a DLINK 514 wireless router,that will work,but only on my network,not on the world wide web. Is there a program that u download and then it turns ur hardrive into a server that u can use on the internet?

whocares

macrumors 65832
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
iQuit said:
(...) Is there a program that u download and then it turns ur hardrive into a server that u can use on the internet?
Hmmm, yes. It's called Apache and is pre-installed in OS X :p

Your problem is routing your internet request via your D-Link to your Mac. Try a forum search on this, there have been literaly 10s of threads on this matter.