Turning a mac into tv recorder? with start up and shut down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by argo063, Aug 9, 2011.

1. argo063 macrumors member

Hey People

Does any people know of a program for mac or pc that starts up your computer then record a tv show. Then after this it shuts down.

I know you can schedule it to start up and shut down in the mac what cool but you cant tell it to go for a certain date and time or two times in a week.

Any ideas people?

Thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

How would a program start up the computer if it is powered down? That doesn't happen.

Macs do not have TV tuners, so they cannot record TV unassisted; you need something like the Elgato eyeTV, which is not cheap.

3. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

Are there any other options besides the Elgato eyetv? That is expensive but I want something cheaper to record broadcast tv.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Broadcast TV needs a tuner; one way or another you need something to take input from the antenna cable and convert it to USB or firewire. Some PCs have built in TV tuners, but Macs do not.

5. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

I understand, but is there an alternative to Eye TV? Some generic vendor or some sort of alternative method?

6. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Firerecord (free) allows you to record on your mac using your cable tv tuner.

http://www.ammesset.com/firerecord.html

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

That depends on the Cable TV box allowing this kind of output. Not all of them do.

8. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

That looks pretty cool! I wonder if Uverse supports it, and although that would work normally, I'm trying to record broadcast TV while I'm at college, where there are no cable boxes.