Turning airport off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by desi22601, Jun 29, 2008.

1. desi22601 macrumors member

I'm already have connected to my wireless network.. should i turn airport off? im not exactly what that does is it just the device used to pick up the signal? It keeps saying scanning but im not sure if i should turn it off or not.. yea im a total mac newbie. thanks for reading.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Aiport is Apple's name for wifi or 802.11g/n. if you want to connect to wireless networks you should definately leave it on.

its not like windows where you can have numerous programs controlling your wifi. in Mac OS X its just Airport which can be configured by the icon in the menu bar or in Network preferences in System Preferences. very simple and the way it should be IMO :).

the reason it says scanning is thats what the menu does every time you click on it to update the list of wireless networks nearby.

3. desi22601 thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks so if i don't want to connect to anymore wireless networks and im already connected to mine should i turn it off?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No.

Airport is your wifi. If you turn it off you don't have wireless.

5. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

The only time you should turn if off is when you are working on battery and does not need wireless connection. This will save your battery life.

6. idyll macrumors 6502

Yeah, if you need wireless internet it must stay on. Otherwise turn it off to conserve battery life.

7. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

ye, and just to clarify. when you leave it it will happily stay connected to your current network. only when you click it will it try to look for new networks that will be available.