Turning an old iPhone into an AppleTV (sort of)

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ipedro, Jan 6, 2011.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

So I have an old iPhone3G laying around and I'm looking for a way to repurpose it. I decided that it would be a great little device to play music in one of the rooms of my house.

I plan to jailbreak it in hopes that I'll be able to turn it into an Airplay client, just like the AppleTV. Are there apps in the jailbreak community that can do this?

Essentially, the iPhone would sit in a dock in this room, connected to powered speakers. I could play music directly from the iPhone or could stream to it from another iOS device or iTunes. Is this possible (with hacking)?

2. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

I don't think you'd need to jailbreak. There are apps in the app store that allow you to stream to the iPhone from iTunes.

3. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thanks. I still think I need AirPlay though. What I'm trying to accomplish:

- Avoid having to buy another tv
    - Repurpose the old iPhone

I'd like to be able to add it to the list of speakers. Without thinking too hard, I get the impression that it would be at least possible to install a modified tv2 firmware on the iPhone. After all, they're both iOS devices.

4. John01021988 macrumors 6502

5. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thanks. This will definitely work in the interim while I search for a solution that plays from iOS devices.

6. earthmonster macrumors newbie

Have you checked out Music Controls Pro? I don't think it will let you stream from iTunes or iOS to iOS. But if I'm not mistaken it will allow you to control your repurposed iPhone from another iOS device. So you could use your repurposed iPhone 3G as a dedicated music device while controlling it from another iOS device, using the remote app I believe. You'd have to sync it with an iTunes library occasionally to update it but if you installed the wifi sync available in Cydia you'd theoretically never have to remove it from the dock.

7. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Just because they both run iOS doesn't mean that the firmwares are anywhere near interchangeable.

8. lapocompris macrumors regular

9. thegman1234 macrumors 6502

thegman1234

Why, if I may ask, do you need to be able to stream from iOS devices to the retired iPhone? Do you keep media on your active iPhone or iPad that you don't keep on your Mac/PC?