turning bluetooth off

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Apr 2, 2011.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

If i turn bluetooth off on OSX, how can i be able to turn it back on so i will be able use my wireless keyboard and mouse? There are no alternative wired keyb and mouse in my possesion, so should i be extra carefull not to deactivate it?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

you would probably have to find a usb mouse or keyboard to do so. I'd recommend not turning it off, although the computer would probably warn you about it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't specify what kind of Mac you have. I'm assuming it's not a notebook, since they have built-in keyboards and trackpads. You can turn Bluetooth on and off using only a keyboard, but obviously it couldn't be a Bluetooth keyboard:
    1. Command-Spacebar to search with Spotlight
    2. Type "System Preferences" which will be your top hit
    3. Press Enter to open System Preferences
    4. Use Tab to highlight Bluetooth
    5. Press Spacebar to open Bluetooth preference pane
    6. Tab to checkbox by "On"
    7. Press Spacebar to check or uncheck
    8. Command-Q to quit System Preferences

4. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

ok, well itsn a mac mini, purchased in Dec2009, so suppose i turn BTooth off then i cant type because keyboard and mouse are wireless... :(

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then you would need to use a USB mouse or keyboard or connect via Screen Sharing (if you have that set up) to turn it back on. So don't turn it off!

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

im surprised that Apple hasnt thought about this and not provided a solution for it!

7. chown33 macrumors 604

It's a Mac mini. You're supposed to provide your own mouse, keyboard, and display. If that's too much responsibility, buy a different machine.

I suggest you visit a thrift store like Goodwill, and buy a used USB keyboard and mouse.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

i dont see your point... i do have keyboard/mouse its just that they are wireless and if someone not knowing the bluetooth issue deactivates it then he cant operate the macmini (unless he has another set of wired mouse), or am i wrong?

9. chown33 macrumors 604

System Preferences > Bluetooth

Click "Advanced" button.

Check the first checkbox:
    "Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup when no input device is present"

If turning off Bluetooth is an ongoing problem, you can change the security of System Preferences to require a password to unlock every pane.
    System Preferences > Security > General tab

It's difficult to suggest a specific solution when I don't know who you're trying to defend against. It's unclear whether you're accidentally turning off Bluetooth yourself, or whether someone else who uses the machine is doing it. If it's someone else, create a non-admin account for them and setup System Preferences security. It it's you, then stop doing that. Either way, a cheap wired USB mouse is cheap insurance.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

Perfect this is the solution i was looking for. Thank you so much my friend ;)

11. waw74 macrumors 68030

It gives you a popup warning if you try to turn bluetooth off without a wired keyboard and mouse plugged in.

12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030