Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asharpin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Wondering if this is a possibility...

I want to turn my iPhone into a portable hard drive to back up photos in the field. I had envisioned a really basic version of epson's models seen here:

http://global.epson.com/product/photo_viewer/

using Apple's iPod camera connector. I'd want to delete all of the iOS software, though, leaving maximum storage space and getting rid of unnecessary steps just to transfer and view files.

Thoughts? Is this possible? If so, any ideas on how to go about it?:eek:
Any suggestions appreciated!

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Seems like an expensive HDD. There are apps that will allow you to do much of this, but you still need an OS. You can get a 32GB USB flash drive for $60 and a 64GB USB flash drive for $134. Seems a lot cheaper and smaller for the same storage capacity. Most other types of flash are comparable in price. I'd just cary a couple of extra flash cards and use the iPhone for telephone calls. It just seems like a more cumbersome and expensive way to give yourself additional storage.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
Wondering if this is a possibility...

I want to turn my iPhone into a portable hard drive to back up photos in the field. I had envisioned a really basic version of epson's models seen here:

http://global.epson.com/product/photo_viewer/

using Apple's iPod camera connector. I'd want to delete all of the iOS software, though, leaving maximum storage space and getting rid of unnecessary steps just to transfer and view files.

Thoughts? Is this possible? If so, any ideas on how to go about it?:eek:
Any suggestions appreciated!

What would be the point of this?

asharpin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Seems like an expensive HDD. There are apps that will allow you to do much of this, but you still need an OS. You can get a 32GB USB flash drive for $60 and a 64GB USB flash drive for $134. Seems a lot cheaper and smaller for the same storage capacity. Most other types of flash are comparable in price. I'd just cary a couple of extra flash cards and use the iPhone for telephone calls. It just seems like a more cumbersome and expensive way to give yourself additional storage.

The phone has been replaced with a 3G model, and has no current use... Pretty banged up so I can't sell it for much either, so it's just collecting dust. The problem with the flash is that there's no way for me to transfer the files without a computer, something I'd rather not tote along while shooting!

asharpin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
What would be the point of this?

I tend to have semi-regular accidents with my memory cards while out shooting and on vacation. Somehow I've always lost shots by the time I get to a computer to transfer! Since I already have the (redundant) iphone, it's cheaper than buying some other backup method.

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
I tend to have semi-regular accidents with my memory cards while out shooting and on vacation. Somehow I've always lost shots by the time I get to a computer to transfer! Since I already have the (redundant) iphone, it's cheaper than buying some other backup method.

Wouldn't it make more sense to sell the phone for a few hundred dollars and buy a thumbdrive??

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
There is an app in Cydia to do this, but it only works on Windows. Search PwnTunes.
(I can't vouch for it though, I haven't used it.)

And you're not going to be able to delete iOS.

[e] Oh, you wanted to turn it into a hard drive, not a flash drive. Oh well, this'll work too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.