Turning iPOD Touch into 3G

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by dikiem, Oct 29, 2007.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Misleading title and poorly written article.

To save everyone some time, this just shows you how to take a smartphone with WiFi and have it share the internet connection over an adhoc network with the iPod touch. This doesn't change you ipt into a 3G device, it's just another way you can get a WiFi signal to the device.

The how to is not very well written either, mostly because it is written with the basic idea that you do "doing something to your touch" which, as I've mentioned, is not at all what's going on.

2. wumbo6 macrumors newbie

so you cant do this with windows mobile 2003 se huh?

3. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

damn, i dont see how you can ever turn the IPT into a phone as it doesnt have a speaker for you to talk into so you'd just be able to hear the person talking. if you want a 3g phone.............get an iphone, NOT an ipod touch ;)

4. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

I have imagined a little add on that would plug into the dock connecter that would work with a sim card, have a small speaker and a microphone, the form factor would be like

"""--------------"""
    """"""""""""""""""""

imagine the touch fitting in the middle, you could add a thin battery to the part that goes along the back.

Now I agree with the sentiment that why not just buy an iphone....well for me the reason is I work in a place where you can not have a camera...and so unless apple were to make a model without one then I am out of luck.

The third party devise I mentioned above though could be made to look very nice....you could even add volume control buttons....I think the touch is already so thin that all this hardware would still make it viable....perhaps just a tad thicker and longer than the iphone. I would pay up to 200.00 for something like this.

5. dikiem thread starter macrumors member

iphone doesn't have 3G :(

6. Gondry macrumors member

is there an idiots guide to using a 3G phone with the touch? I don't really understand how this works with the wifi.

cheers

7. wheatie macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there is a way for the iPod Touch to use the 3G connection from a Palm OS Treo phone?

I know this article is about using a Windows Mobile 3G phone, but I have a Palm OS phone and wonder if anyone knows of a way to do this?

Thanks,

8. Standing Amazed macrumors newbie

not quite what you're talking about, but I have one of these working with my IPT: http://www.gear4.com/product_detail.php?products_id=235

While it does work with the Touch (with firmware u/g from Gear4) and I can make and receive calles via my touch, I can't yet cat caller display on the Touch screen.

9. Barnard macrumors newbie

I read the title as if they were turning the touch into a 3rd generation iPod. :p

It would be quite cool to emulate the old thing on the touch screen, seeing as all the buttons on the £rd generation were touch only.

10. NormNConquest macrumors newbie

I would pay money for a clickwheel simulator controlling music.