Turning iPod touch into an iPod nano

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 6869, Nov 3, 2013.

1. 6869 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem getting distracted by the internet and just want to use my ipod for music so does anyone know a way I can disable the internet by jailbreaking? Already tried restrictions, but I threw away the password and didn't realize safari was unlocked so now I can't back in. Thanks

2. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

3. 6869 thread starter macrumors newbie

Because I use notes pretty frequently

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

5. rapicell macrumors regular

Why wouldn't you just turn off the wifi...? I fail to see the point of "disabling by jailbreaking" if you can literally turn it off in settings.

6. 6869 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. 6869, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

6869 thread starter macrumors newbie

I fail to see the point of being unhelpful if you can literally read what I said twice.

I'll say it a third time if that's what it takes to stop being bombarded with obvious answers

I want a way to disable the internet permanently so that I won't be a distraction anymore. Maybe this way, I'll actually surround myself by people who read words more than they regurgitate bad ones. What's the point of turning off the internet in wifi if I can easily turn it back on? That's just like saying, if you have a problem procrastinating on the internet, just don't use safari.

8. Ghostbusters macrumors regular

Relax everyone.

Unfortunately OT, the jailbreak community only produces those add-ons & tweaks they want. It all depends on demand. Thus, you can guarantee there is no tweak to disable Wifi. My recommendation would be to sell your iPod touch and buy an iPod Nano. You get all the benefits you seek and lose out on only the Notes functionality. The alternate solution is to keep the iPod touch (and the Notes app) but control thyself when it comes to Wifi usage. Ultimately your call.

<thread closed?>

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

While you can't make it impossible to use the Internet on your iPod, you can make it pretty inconvenient (which should help with the self-control thing!):

Firstly, you can change your WiFi password to something really long and complex that you won't remember off the top of your head. Keep the password written down somewhere obviously, and save the password in the keychain of devices you DO want to use the Internet on (such as laptop, iPhone etc). So if you get the urge to go on the Internet you won't just be able to flick on your iPod's WiFi and start browsing - you'll need to go and find the password.

Another thing you can do is download Springtomize (it's a jailbreak tweak) and use it to disable the icons of all the web browsers on your iPod (which pretty much makes it so you can't open them). You *can* go into the settings and enable it again, but seeing as you have to respring and all it's quite a pain. If you're going to do this there's also a JB tweak that disables spotlight which you should get, as even if you can't open Safari via the icon you could still search it up on spotlight.

Hopefully if you do both of those things then the bother it will be to get on the net will make it easier to overcome your Internet addition :D

10. poot1234 macrumors member

Restrictions

You could always add a password protected restriction to it. Restrictions are found under the General Settings menu. You can disable Safari and any other app you'd like. Set a random password you won't guess, or have someone else set it!

11. Scorpion008 macrumors member

Do you even READ?!

12. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Lol Sell the iPod touch, replace it with a nano, and make notes the old fashioned way.

13. Scorpion008 macrumors member

Keep in mind that the iPod nano screen is no where near retina. That is why I can't stand using one.

14. kaielement macrumors 65816

Even if it was on a screen that small you wouldn't even notice a difference.

15. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Isn't there proxy settings you can enable in IOS. Just purposely put in incorrect proxy settings and the internet won't work.

16. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You can turn off Safari in Restrictions. I understand you forgot your restrictions passcode. Doing a Recovery Mode restore http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808 of the iPod will eliminate the forgotten passcode, and is no harder than installing a jailbreak.

You can also create a folder on your home screen for Safari (name it "Danger" or some such), and put it off on a screen of its own - put it a bit farther out of sight.

There are features that depend on wi-fi that have nothing to do with web browsing, so I wouldn't make it impossible to sign into wi-fi, maybe just turn it on only if the need arises (maps, app downloads, etc.)

17. Scorpion008 macrumors member

You wouldn't, but I certainly do.

18. DFZD macrumors regular

Although I think you have a bigger fish to fry (self-control) than worry about all this, but anyway a great way would be to disable the MAC address of your iPod Touch in your Router. I hope you have access to it. It's really straight forward from there.