Turning LTE on and off

1sazim

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
Last week I decided to take advantage of the three month grace period provided by Apple. I figure I'll be able to judge whether or not to keep the service during that time based on usage.

However, I have a great deal of difficulty moving that little green toggle switch between on and off. Has anyone else had a problem with this? If so, and if you've figured a good way to do this easily, what did you do to solve the problem?
Thanks!:apple:

UPDATED: Sorry, I meant to say it's the cellular toggle I'm having trouble with.

Last edited:

cowfish

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Why are you turning it on and off? It automatically turn lte off when there is Bluetooth or WiFi available. The watch first tries to connect to your phone via Bluetooth, then to WiFi, if neither are available it will turn on LTE and connect to cellular until the moment Bluetooth or WiFi are available then it shuts off LTE once again to save battery life. The green toggle button in settings for cellular simply enables use of cellular.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

cowfish

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2009
Also, forgot to mention. if you swipe up from the bottom of the watch to bring up the control center, the top left button enables/disables cellular if you still feel the need to manually control it. When the button is white, that means cellular is enabled, but in standby, ready to connect when there is no Bluetooth or WiFi. When the button is green, that means it is actively connected to cellular and you’ll see green dots in the very top left showing cellular signal strength.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Also, forgot to mention. if you swipe up from the bottom of the watch to bring up the control center, the top left button enables/disables cellular if you still feel the need to manually control it. When the button is white, that means cellular is enabled, but in standby, ready to connect when there is no Bluetooth or WiFi. When the button is green, that means it is actively connected to cellular and you’ll see green dots in the very top left showing cellular signal strength.
The bad news about your information is that once you Tap the Cellular icon in the Control Center, you then are presented with the screen the OP was mentioning in the first post. There is a Slide to Enable / Disable the Cellular radio.

So that means that @1sazim has already been there done that.
What's the 3 month grace period provided by Apple?
@1sazim was referencing the deal that was announced last month, the 4 Carriers in the USA are offering 3 free months of service and a waived Activation. The specific details vary by Carrier.
I’m also curious why you’re moving the cellular toggle.
To conserve battery of course. When in standby mode the Cellular feature uses power and it often will switch to active Cellular mode if not near the host iPhone. I use it daily when walking the dog or bike riding without my iPhone. It's there, why not use it.

Dave

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
The bad news about your information is that once you Tap the Cellular icon in the Control Center, you then are presented with the screen the OP was mentioning in the first post. There is a Slide to Enable / Disable the Cellular radio.

@1sazim was referencing the deal that was announced last month, the 4 Carriers in the USA are offering 3 free months of service and a waived Activation. The specific details vary by Carrier.

To conserve battery of course. When in standby mode the Cellular feature uses power and it often will switch to active Cellular mode if not near the host iPhone. I use it daily when walking the dog or bike riding without my iPhone. It's there, why not use it.

Dave
Isn’t the point of having the cellular for it to do exactly what you described? You want cellular to not work while you’re away from your phone? Why pay for cellular then?

warrenal

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008

Dave
Ok. That is offered by the carriers. Not Apple!

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
However, I have a great deal of difficulty moving that little green toggle switch between on and off. Has anyone else had a problem with this? If so, and if you've figured a good way to do this easily, what did you do to solve the problem?
You don't have to actually try to slide the Toggle, just Tap in the "Middle" and it will switch back and forth between Off and On.

Dave

Reactions: 1sazim and CobraPA

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Isn’t the point of having the cellular for it to do exactly what you described? You want cellular to not work while you’re away from your phone? Why pay for cellular then?
Some people want the ceramic back.

AW3 is my first watch and I knew I didn’t want the composite back. I could’ve gotten the series 2 at a better price, but to me, the cost difference was worth it to get the AW3.

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
Some people want the ceramic back.

AW3 is my first watch and I knew I didn’t want the composite back. I could’ve gotten the series 2 at a better price, but to me, the cost difference was worth it to get the AW3.
I wasn't asking why buy an LTE watch. I was asking why bother paying for the service of you're going to turn the cellular feature off, which was the topic of the thread.

1sazim

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
I wasn't asking why buy an LTE watch. I was asking why bother paying for the service of you're going to turn the cellular feature off, which was the topic of the thread.
I turn the cellular off because I don't want it eating my battery while my phone is near and I'll turn it on while I'm on a run or otherwise away from my phone.

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
I turn the cellular off because I don't want it eating my battery while my phone is near and I'll turn it on while I'm on a run or otherwise away from my phone.
Your watch already does that automatically so this is not a necessary step. If you're phone is nearby or your watch connects to wifi, it turns the LTE off anyway.

Reactions: bradbomb

bradbomb

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
The watch does this automatically already. If not, there is no way I should be getting the battery life I get. For instance, I am off charger for about 12 hrs at this point, I did a 45 minute workout on the Elliptical earlier today and my battery is still at 75%. If LTE was running at all today, that would definitely be lower. I have never since I got the Series 3, manually turned off LTE in the Control Center. The option in there is just if you want the system to automatically turn it on and connect when out of range of Bluetooth or WiFi. When either Bluetooth or Wifi are connected, LTE is not on even if the option is on in Control Center.

Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
You could always turn LTE off when you're away from your phone and don't care to be connected. Then you'd conserve battery life and always have the option to turn it on if/when you decide you need a connection.

1sazim

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
You could always turn LTE off when you're away from your phone and don't care to be connected. Then you'd conserve battery life and always have the option to turn it on if/when you decide you need a connection.
Thanks! That was exactly my thought.