Turning macbook into a discoverable bluetooth device

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Dre2000lbs, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Dre2000lbs macrumors newbie

Hey, I've been looking through the lousy bluetooth documentation from apple's developer site so now i'm running to the forums.

I want to make my macbook a bluetooth device that is discoverable by other computers. In other words, it broadcasts itself just like a bluetooth mouse would. Then computers can scan for it as a device and begin the pairing process.

I feel this is possible, but Mac's Bluetooth APIs may not support it. Am I right about all this? Can you provide any guidance?

Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm not sure your app can do that: it being discoverable for pairing is a user choice not an application choice. It can be turned on/off by the user using the preferences provided. You could potentially use AppleScript to do that...

You can make a bluetooth RFCOMM server that sits waiting for connections from devices. I did this for my little Car-100 control program...

3. Dre2000lbs thread starter macrumors newbie

The assumption is that the computer is left in a discoverable mode. I'm sure RFCOMM server is what i'm looking for. How did you go about that?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You should be able to download the source to the app from this link

5. Dre2000lbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link.

I'm going to look through it soon (been busy lately).

It sounds like your program does the opposite that I'll like my program to do. I want my laptop to become a device ( like a bluetooth mouse for example ) to connect to a server.

You know a easy way of doing that? So far, I need to create UUIDs and create a plist for some given reason before I can broadcast.